Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RCBOs?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    SA hasnt even caught onto RCBO's and the new rage mcb is the AFDD (arc fault detection device) ... with built in RCBO.

If you have rows of old 5 ft fittings ... an AFDD is a must ... I smelt a burning smell in my workshop last week ... but couldnt pin point wher ethe smell was coming from ... nex tthing there was a lot of sparks ...smoke a bang ... but nothing tripped ... it turns out one of the ballasts cooked ... quickly rewired and replaced all of them with LED lamps ... I must say the workshop doesnt look that much brighter ... I was expecting a huge improvement ...
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Work in progress. So far the swan earth leakage circuit breaker are doing great. They already helped me to pinpoint out a microwave that caused the entire house to loose power before the multi earth leakage setup.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210407_062135.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	8163

Thanks
    On the arc fault detection device, are there any reason why we cant install one unit to monitor the entire installation?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frans400 View Post
    Work in progress. So far the swan earth leakage circuit breaker are doing great. They already helped me to pinpoint out a microwave that caused the entire house to loose power before the multi earth leakage setup.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210407_062135.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	8163
    Nice to see RCBO being used in SA. They make fault finding way easier.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Some news.

Attending an ECA meeting in Durban yesterday, Swan Electric had this little beauty on show.

Attachment 7829

30 mA residual current protection.
    Currently available in 16A, 20A & 32A overcurrent protection and a fault current rating of 4.5kA
    List price of R360.00

If your wholesaler doesn't have it in stock soon, let Swan Electric know or steer the wholesaler their way.
    Has anyone dealt direct with Swan as a company? I've emailed their technical department twice in the past 2 weeks asking for product info but alas no reply.....

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Check with Mantech ... Swan is in the same building as mantech in Durban and I noticed they now sell swan products.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    I use swan Pretoria or Johannesburg instead of mantech because mantceh personnel newer replie to an email.

I think i paid R209 per swan rcbo, can remember if it was inclusive of vat.

Something you should keep in mind, according to one of my fellow electrician is that each swan rcbo need it own isolator/disconnector, he wasn't able to show me were it was stated in the sans regulations, but other times i tell me other electrician that they not allowed to do certain things were he is correct but then hes not able to show them were its stated in the standards.
    If anyone can confirm if he is correct or incorrect it would be appreciated.

Here is the link if you want to try mantech online shop
    https://mantech.co.za/ProductInfo.aspx?Item=372M2044-X

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frans400 View Post
    Something you should keep in mind, according to one of my fellow electrician is that each swan rcbo need it own isolator/disconnector, he wasn't able to show me were it was stated in the sans regulations, but other times i tell me other electrician that they not allowed to do certain things were he is correct but then hes not able to show them were its stated in the standards.
    If anyone can confirm if he is correct or incorrect it would be appreciated.

Here is the link if you want to try mantech online shop
    https://mantech.co.za/ProductInfo.aspx?Item=372M2044-X
    I cannot think of anything in the regulations that stipulate's an Isolator in front of the ELU - According to the specification it is overload protected ( 10,20,32 Amp versions) and is double pole

On a isolator type ELU without overload protection you would need to install a C/breaker of suitable size to protect the ELU

ADL8-63N series RCCB (with overload protection) applies to AC 50Hz, rated voltage 240V for 2 poles, 415V for
    4poles, rated current up to 63A

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I think what they are talking about is the islolating properties of the unit ... for example a 63 amp earth leakage can be used as a main switch and so can most double pole or triple pole circuit breakers (an expensive way to isolate a DB ... hence the geyser combo unit for example) ... I dont see why you want isloating properties for an RCBO being used to replace a cuircuit breaker ... unless you plan to use it as a lockable DB isolator.

Thanks
    First post here. Very informative site and clued up people. Most of the RCBOs seem to comply with IEC 61009-1 (including the Swan RCBOs). What is the equivalent SANS standard as I'm not able to find a SANS 61009-1? Or to cut to the chase, if a RCBO complies to IEC 61009-1, can it be used as per SANS 10142-1?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.