Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time renting...not working out!

Thanks

First time renting...not working out!

Hi All

I have just rented my first apartment, or so I thought...

The apartment was up for rent by a popular agency in the area. I contacted them and sent all the required information through to them. They preceded with the credit checks and all of that. Everything seemed to be in order and I sent them the singed lease contract and paid the deposit (Within the required 2 days). The agency replied by saying they will forward the lease agreement to the lessor, for his signature, and send me back a copy thereof. One week after this mail I received a mail from them that stated the apartment is no longer for rent and is now reserved for the lessor's family. After a telephone discussion with the agency I discovered that they have not even sent the documents through to the lessor.

I feel this is very unprofessional from the agency . I would just like to know if there is something I could do? Or is it just the best to demand my deposit back and move on?

Thanks!

Suspended
    Thanks
    Unfortunately this is the agencies fault. Im not sure exactly what recourse you could have as it is very unprofessional from the agency. But at the end of the day they have not signed the lease therefore you don't really have anything to go by. Your best bet would be do get your deposit back ..... in full.

Thanks
    Yea just as I thought. Luckily they had no problem paying back the deposit.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy99 View Post
    Hi All

I have just rented my first apartment, or so I thought...

The apartment was up for rent by a popular agency in the area. I contacted them and sent all the required information through to them. They preceded with the credit checks and all of that. Everything seemed to be in order and I sent them the singed lease contract and paid the deposit (Within the required 2 days). The agency replied by saying they will forward the lease agreement to the lessor, for his signature, and send me back a copy thereof. One week after this mail I received a mail from them that stated the apartment is no longer for rent and is now reserved for the lessor's family. After a telephone discussion with the agency I discovered that they have not even sent the documents through to the lessor.

I feel this is very unprofessional from the agency . I would just like to know if there is something I could do? Or is it just the best to demand my deposit back and move on?

Thanks!

You can sue for damages on the basis of breach of contract. Though the lessor didn't yet sign the lease agreement, there was tacit agreement that the lessor leases this apartment to you. A strong point on your side is that you paid the deposit.
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

5. Thanks given for this post:

AndyD (31-May-17)

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanash Naick View Post
    You can sue for damages on the basis of breach of contract. Though the lessor didn't yet sign the lease agreement, there was tacit agreement that the lessor leases this apartment to you. A strong point on your side is that you paid the deposit.
    And that would be just waste of money because you do not stand a chance of getting anything out of it !
    All that would happen is the lawyers will make some money out of you.
    Why don't you ask someone like Vanesh to do it for you and agree to only pay him if you win ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HR Solutions View Post
    And that would be just waste of money because you do not stand a chance of getting anything out of it !
    All that would happen is the lawyers will make some money out of you.
    Why don't you ask someone like Vanesh to do it for you and agree to only pay him if you win ?
    HR, there is no monopoly on viewpoints expressed on TFSA. As such, anyone can express a view.
    Based on the information provided, there is a prima facie case for breach of contract. Our courts have long held that a contract needn’t be in writing. Naturally, confirming any contract to writing is wise for obvious reasons.
    HR, I would like to impress upon you that ‘The Law of Sale and Lease,’ is an advanced area of law.

HR, can you motivate the legal opinion that you have expressed?

For ease of reference I include your legal opinion here

"And that would be just waste of money because you do not stand a chance of getting anything out of it."
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Suspended
    Thanks
    HR, can you motivate the legal opinion that you have expressed?
    My daughter is a lawyer

Why don't you do this for them on a contingency fee basis and get paid if and when you win ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HR Solutions View Post
    My daughter is a lawyer

Why don't you do this for them on a contingency fee basis and get paid if and when you win ?
    Only if you provide your next 10 000 clients with free services
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanash Naick View Post
    HR, there is no monopoly on viewpoints expressed on TFSA. As such, anyone can express a view.
    HR has a long history of abrasive, hyper-opinionated, and obnoxious posting that borders on trolling. Ignore him.

Founder of Growth Surge - Helping entrepreneurs create more wealth and enjoy more freedom.

11. Thank given for this post:

Blurock (01-Jun-17), Citizen X (01-Jun-17)

Thanks
    Hi Greig,

I respect and accept him nonetheless
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast