Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You have to see this one...

Silver Member
    Thanks

You have to see this one...

I got called out to a new client who had a paint mixer where the motor wouldn't start. The red phase had gone so i start tracing backwards to see where the problem is

In all my 20 years of being a sparky I don't think I have come across anything as retarded as this.....

And guess what.... It has a COC. I mean how many things can you get wrong in such a small space!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20170523-WA0003.jpg 
Views:	926 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	6768

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingsparks View Post
    I mean how many things can you get wrong in such a small space!
    It seems quite a few

What the heck, seems it was made up with some spare parts from the toolbox, and what about that earth wire?
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oops.jpg 
Views:	458 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	6769

need i say more?
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Lol, that's a truely world class installation, running the earth through a standard an MCB would have been a common or garden dangerous cowboy but using an isolator almost elevates the move to being artwork. Is that SWA cable in a sungly fitting conduit or is it wearing a condom?.... and why bother with an SWA gland when you can just give the armour a hair cut down to 4 strands and sling it 3/4 of the way around the inside of the enclosure?

Incidentally, the only people I've seen regularly using those QF series slow curve breakers are Eskom and the council.....

Report the tosser to the DOL.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Stolen breakers perhaps..... There were another 6 in the garage DB rated at 80 amps.... on a 2.5 mm cable.

There is so many more in this installation. The circuit in teh carage has a single phase supply (with L, N and earth going through a 3 phase breaker), the meter has been kind or bridges out and the heat from the link is causing (new) 3 phase meter to melt.

The "electrician" is being called back to site today to explain himself. Think it will be a no show.

They have a COC, from somewhere.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    I'll second that proposal.
    This sort of BS just has to stop!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingsparks View Post
    Stolen breakers perhaps..... There were another 6 in the garage DB rated at 80 amps.... on a 2.5 mm cable.

There is so many more in this installation. The circuit in teh carage has a single phase supply (with L, N and earth going through a 3 phase breaker), the meter has been kind or bridges out and the heat from the link is causing (new) 3 phase meter to melt.

The "electrician" is being called back to site today to explain himself. Think it will be a no show.

They have a COC, from somewhere.
    I'd be interested to see a copy of the CoC, is it signed by the installer himself or has he got someone else to issue it? I'd certainly motivate the installer to show up and explain his handywork with thinly veiled threats of a DOL report.

I'd wager on the breakers being stolen but unless they're marked in some way it will be difficult to prove. I've seen similar breakers on market stalls before so it's vaguely possible they were purchased in good faith if someone didn't know better.

If the metering has been tampered with and especially if it's dangerous you should report that to the supply authority. If you ignore an obvious hazard then you could be complicit and held responsible for the consequences.

Is the installation a TT earthing arrangement? If so there's an argument for L+N disconnection by the OCPD but this would normally be done by a SP+N type MCB, 2 poles of a t/pole MCB would offer a similar level of protection I guess. Obviously the earth through the circuit breaker is not acceptable.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I switched it off and advised against switch back on. I wrote them a report highlighting the very obvious things that need resolving immediately.

The municipality came round to switch the breaker back on the pole and didn't seem even slightly bothered about the meter melting away.

They have a small business running there which needed to get an order out so it was switch back on. There are a few small properties on the back they are renting out so the residents wouldn't have been over joyed.

I am quoting to redo the whole thing

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post

Incidentally, the only people I've seen regularly using those QF series slow curve breakers are Eskom and the council.....

Don't be like that Andy...I have just completed a project...every circuit breaker feeding the machines (with motors) have D curve Breakers...D curve are designed for motor start up.

I wish more electricians work do a basic course on circuit breaker applications...I wouldn't have to replace so many breakers tripping due to incorrect selection...either ka or curve...installing a 30 amp breaker ( very common with a/c companies and the like) with 2.5 mm wires might solve the tripping issue on startup but certainly doesn't do anything for the circuit safety.

For those who don't know...a circuit breaker is there to protect the wire and must always be selected according to the fault level at that point...installing a 3 or 6 ka breaker where the fault level is 15 ka will result in the breaker arcing closed (in the on position ) if there is a dead short.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Some useless information about circuit breakers.

Circuit breakers are designed for different applications. A standard breaker would be for domestic applications which require standard overload and short circuit protection.

If we had to use the ones in the picture for example. The white being a standard curve 3 used for resistive and inductive loads with low inrush current.

The orange being a curve 1 or D or K curve for some manufacturers used for all of the above and inrush current.

The white is used by most electrical contractors who are not aware of the function of circuit breakers or who choose to spec the current rating of the breaker much higher than required which increases the cost of the installation as bigger cables would be required.
    Last edited by Dave A; 04-Jun-17 at 05:39 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.