Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You have to see this one...

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingsparks View Post
    I got called out to a new client who had a paint mixer where the motor wouldn't start. The red phase had gone so i start tracing backwards to see where the problem is

In all my 20 years of being a sparky I don't think I have come across anything as retarded as this.....

And guess what.... It has a COC. I mean how many things can you get wrong in such a small space!

Attachment 6768
    Go do a refresher course with the ECA or the like...then you will realise why the industry is so F^&%*.

I was called out yesterday to assist with a circuit breaker tripping problem. A new machine was installed and the breaker kept tripping...

A CBI curve 3...30 amp 3 ka breaker installed in a factory. These breakers are designed for DOMESTIC installations, not industrial. Mixing various ka ratings of circuit breakers is quick way of identifying that the electrician who is installing the breakers is clueless.

D...1 and 2 curve circuit breakers are NOT DESIGNED TO BE USED FOR A/C UNITS ONLY...yesterday when i advised the electrician that he had installed the incorrect breaker...his response " orange curve 1 breakers are only used for A/C units...BULLSHIT.

A message to all electricians.......if you work in an commercial or industrial environment go do your homework on circuit breaker selection before you make a fool yourself... Just like installing cables...running 2 cables is not always the solution to high current especially if the equipment is close to the transformer...the fault level has to be taken into consideration for both the cable and the circuit breaker.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I'll second that proposal.
    This sort of BS just has to stop!
    i look forward to the day the DOL actually do something about the electrical industry...be it prosecuting dodgy contractors for crap workmanship or putting an end to contractors dropping off unskilled labour on site.

Every single person working on a site should have to wear a tag with his qualifications...it should be a law.

I am gona say this for the gazillion time...who would be so stupid to trust that the seller has had the COC done correctly of such a huge investment like property

Thanks
    I'm a newbie to the forum and DIYer (what you guys hate I guess)

With regards to the breaking capacity kA rating of the breaker:

Do you guys actually calculate the required breaking capacity?
    For example, I notice that even 10kA breakers are hard to come by.

And 99% of breakers I see installed in homes are 3kA (even on the main breaker).

Thanks
    The coordination of protective devices is a complicated field. Here's a quick guide covering the basics of coordination, cascading, discrimination etc.

**Damn, file is 3 megs and won't attach Here's a link instead. http://www.engineering.schneider-ele...on_devices.pdf

5. Thanks given for this post:

Gnome (02-Jun-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
    With regards to the breaking capacity kA rating of the breaker:

Do you guys actually calculate the required breaking capacity?
    For supplies less than 100 amps, I suggest it's best to use a PSSC tester to measure the actual.

In residential installations, you seldom have all the data needed to calculate the PSSC.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    And another. These guys wanted a quote on surge arrestors....for the purpose of insurance.

For the purpose of insurance!!!! I don't think a surge arrestor will solve the problem.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170705_153513.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	6812
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170705_153539.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	6811  

Thanks
    Yeah, classy.... some lovely touches. It's always refreshing to see there's still craftsmen out there that are free thinkers, don't feel the need to blindly follow the crowd and aren't influenced and restricted in their expression by shallow and fickle things such as best practice and regulations.

I think with an installation such as that you've got to look past the cunningly brazen presentation of the outer layer of confusion and disarray to truely understand the deeper inner message being conveyed. I think the use of the neutral bar to extend that piece of twisted cabtyre hints heavily at the artists grasp that nothing in this world remains the same; things are constantly in flux. What I take away from the lack of SWA gland and rediculously dangerous current ratings of the devices is a strong nod and homage to Buckminster Fullers philosophy of ephemeralization and the mixture and positioning of circuit breakers as a clever expression of societies racial tensions with them seemingly side by side and working as a unit whilst there's a subtle but sinistre underlying black and white incompatibility.

The acute angle of the circuit breakers in the upper left quadrant of the piece was for me unnecessary and shows some petulance in its lack of restraint but overall there's a certain maturity about this work and the way he got his message across. I'm going to give him an overall score of 7 out of 10 which may seem overly generous to some but I think he's on an interesting path and I look forward to seeing how this artist evolves over his next few creations. Definately a craftsman worth keeping an eye on for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.