Poll: Did you become an entrepreneur through lack of other options?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are you a reluctant entrepreneur?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    Is there a difference between an entrepreneur and someone who is running a small business to be self employed?
    Good point. Perhaps it doesn't apply but I do think that the same "have to" spirit applies. I have on a number of occasions made a change to offer a different service, and although I am no Richard Branson (yet :-)) the changes definitely were entrepreneurial in spirit. At least that's what I tell reluctant entrepreneurial self...:-)

Thanks
    Is there a difference between an entrepreneur and someone who is running a small business to be self employed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    To my mind, not for the purposes of this discussion.

(Strictly applied, I am given to understand there is a technical difference between self-employment and entrepreneurship.)
    I guess I'd be classed as an entrepreneur then although I never considered myself as one. I always associated entrepreneurism (if there's such a word) with innovation, experimentation a will to expand and progress outward and not just onward. In my business I have no such tendencies, I don't have interests in expanding or diversifying and making money is probably less than 20% of my motivation.

Suspended
    Thanks
    I guess I'd be classed as an entrepreneur then although I never considered myself as one. I always associated entrepreneurism (if there's such a word) with innovation, experimentation a will to expand and progress outward and not just onward. In my business I have no such tendencies, I don't have interests in expanding or diversifying and making money is probably less than 20% of my motivation.
    Well not really because it seems more about the money

entrepreneur
    ˌɒntrəprəˈnəː/Submit
    noun
    a person who sets up a business or businesses, taking on financial risks in the hope of profit.
    "many entrepreneurs see potential in this market"
    synonyms: businessman, businesswoman, business person, business executive, enterpriser, speculator, tycoon, magnate; More

Silver Member PlatinumWealth.co.za's Avatar
    Thanks
    Some insightful views here. I'm definitely not a reluctant one that's for sure.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    The JSE Investment and Finance Forum - PlatinumWealth.co.za
    JSE Investing Chat Group
    Unlock US Netflix

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumWealth.co.za View Post
    Some insightful views here. I'm definitely not a reluctant one that's for sure.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    I am on the same boat. I run a business but not sure if I will consider myself as an entrepreneur.

Thanks
    Perhaps this echoes what some may be thinking. I was reluctant in having to work for myself but was forced to. Simply because I was too afraid. I had to make changes in order to compete and have in the process have become entrepreneurial.
    I don't really want to go back to working for someone else as I have gotten used to working for myself. i get to watch my kids play sport, I get to go fishing with my boys on a Friday, if I choose to, and catch that work up when they sleep. I like the challenge of having to adapt quickly and if I don't know how to do something i don't have to request senior management input or apply in triplicate for skills development, I simply pick up a book and open google... and I love it. I don't think I am the same as Branson, neither do I claim to be, but I still love working for myself.

Does it make me an entrepreneur? Not sure
    Did I reluctantly work for myself? Yes. But not so much now though.

7. Thanks given for this post:

BusFact (10-May-17)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12