Thread: Trainers beware of bookings from African countries

Centurion (behind the Boerewors curtain), Pretoria.
    Thanks

Trainers beware of bookings from African countries

This morning I had a booking for one of my courses from a company in Nigeria. I will not be taking this booking as I have come across this scam before....

The first time was about six months ago when a Mr Samuel Breakfast from Zimbabwe put in a booking form for my most expensive course - for the full number of people to fill the workshop. (Eight people - I keep things small to give individual attention.)

He asked for an invoice. I sent it (giving my banking details of course). He then said that to get the money that I needed to write a letter which could be presented to their Reserve Bank allowing funds to be transferred out of the country. I duly did this (including my signature of course).

Now thinking that I had a fully booked course I put on my website that the workshop was now closed (so no further bookings were made), and paid my deposit for the venue etc etc

Two days before the course, after not having seen any sign of the payment despite jumping through all of the hoops for them at the last minute, I called them and asked them how they would be paying (and even if they had managed to organise their accomodation without any hassles - poor fool me, taking an interest).

Result: "Oh we aren't going to be able to come down until next week instead as the money hasn't gone through yet - we'll call you when we get there to make arrangements."

Needless to say, I never heard from them again! (Well, not until a few months later when they tried to pull the same stunt again.) I did however immediatly afterwards start getting a flux of 'bookings' from other African countries such as Nigeria and Kenya - which only stopped when I started writing a letter back saying that I didn't take bookings from outside of South Africa as I was not willing to sign any letters for foreign exchange flow.

What was interesting is about the 'bookings' that followed was:
    1. They were for the most expensive courses.
    2. They were barely literate in English.
    3. None of them had a website - even though the workshop was about internet marketing.
    4. E-mails were at Yahoo mail etc
    5. They all had Muslim surnames.
    (Although the orginal mail from Mr Breakfast did not have any of these features. Is he the one fishing for sops like me before he sends out to his network that he has got a good fish caught?)

Does this smell fishy or what. I suspect that this is a 'business group' which uses companies such as myself to get money out of the various countries. Ie. Money laundering by a criminal network!

Please don't fall for this like I did. I was lucky in that I managed to get all of my venue desposits etc for the workshop back - it could have really been an expensive mistake for a small business like mine.

Thanks
    Man, that just angers me! Thanks for the heads up Ann. I would never have seen through that one.
    Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can understand some people being desperate for getting letters for Forex, especially out of Zimbabwe - that just has to be a nightmare.

But this is abuse of innocent folk just trying to make their way too.

Centurion (behind the Boerewors curtain), Pretoria.
    Thanks

I thought so to...

Originally when I got the booking from the chap in Zimbabwe I pretty much thought: "With the conditions in Zim being what they are; oh well, and good luck to you."

It was when I started getting the other stream of bookings - strangely enough, also all from financial services companies that I started getting suspicious. Although Kenya and Nigeria are hardly shining examples of democracy etc, unlike Zim, if you genuinely want to trade for something that you buy overseas, or want to leave the country, you can do so without having to resort to underhand dealings such as this. (Yes, I know it's not neccessarily that easy, but it can be done.)

I still think something here isn't on the mark and I will be damned if I am going to pay for someone else to get their money out of their home country when they have had absolutely no thought for what it would do for me, my business and my family. I do a lot of charity work, but I put my foot down with this.

My major concern here is that I have given someone not only my banking details but a copy of my signature as well. I just don't like it.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Hi Ann

We also regularly receive online bookings from other countries, I also simply delete them. The risk is simply not worth it.
    Regards

Debbie
    debbie@stafftraining.co.za

From reception to management training, assertiveness, accountability or interviewing skills, we have a wide range of training workshops available for you!
    www.stafftraining.co.za

Find us on
    Facebook

Thanks
    Ann (and anyone in the same predicament), I would be very careful signing any documents money related, even giving your banking details or requesting inter-bank transfers. Chances are that in the near future you will find in your inbox a scam letter for a Nigerian having a problem with tranfering his long lost uncle's inheritance to South Africa all with your banking details, company letterhead (and your signature) etc. These guys are ruthless!