Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Positioning of gas stoves relative to electrical equipment

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Positioning of gas stoves relative to electrical equipment

Hi. Where will I find regs pertaining to the positioning of gas stoves relative to socket outlets, isolators etc... The unit has an electric oven so it needs to be plugged in. The gas installer has demanded that the socket outlet in close proximity be blanked off and that the oven be fitted with a stove coupler to utilise the existing stove circuit. The existing stove isolator is however the exact same distance from the nearest flame as the socket outlet he is demanding be blanked off.
    I have decided to blank both socket outlet and isolator off. I will be replacing the stove coupler with a socket outlet and downgrading the 40A CB to a 20A. The oven draws 16A.
    I would still like to know where to get the regs applicable.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The answer is SANS 10087-1 (2013 edition) for domestic installations.

Here are the relevant diagrams:

Typical installation by means of a flexible hose and solid pipe -
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	installation with flexible hose and solid pipe.JPG 
Views:	11448 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	6711

Typical installation for gas cylinder directly connected to hob by means of a flexible hose -
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	installation with flexible hose and gas cylinder.JPG 
Views:	6020 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	6710

3. Thank given for this post:

AndyD (05-Apr-17), Sparks (01-Apr-17)

Thanks
    Thank you Dave. Does this also apply to a free standing gas hob/electric oven unit which is not enclosed?
    I am also wondering about the (No electrical switch)in the cupboard below the hob.
    Does that mean a gas hob may not be situated on top of an electric oven?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Does this also apply to a free standing gas hob/electric oven unit which is not enclosed?
    How is the gas supplied? Ordinarily a gas installation certificate isn't required for a free-standing unit as it isn't a fixture.

I am also wondering about the (No electrical switch)in the cupboard below the hob.
    Does that mean a gas hob may not be situated on top of an electric oven?
    As I understand it, the concern is for electrical items that cause a spark (no matter how minute) when operated as the spark is a potential ignition source for LP gas.

Thanks
    It is a big free standing gas hob with electrical oven. The gas bottle is a 9kg which is for the moment standing next to it.
    The company it was bought from insisted to the buyer that the gas bottle needs to have a cupboard fitted next to the oven and that the bottle be installed by their technician.
    If the regulations regarding electrical equipment proximity are based on the proximity of sparks, how can a gas hob be manufactured and given SABS approval when it has an electric oven as part of the appliance with electrical switches within the proximity limits?
    If a free standing gas appliance is not subject to the regulations, on what grounds may a supplier insist that a registered installer connect the gas bottle and on what grounds may they insist that other existing electrical equipment be removed before the gas certificate is issued?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    If a free standing gas appliance is not subject to the regulations, ...
    For the sake of clarity I must point out that's not what I said. The regulations require a certificate of manufacture. It also places duties on various parties...

Here are the latest gazetted guidance notes to the Pressure Equipment Regulations for you to pick over.

If the regulations regarding electrical equipment proximity are based on the proximity of sparks, how can a gas hob be manufactured and given SABS approval when it has an electric oven as part of the appliance with electrical switches within the proximity limits?
    My wild* guess is the switches (or the switch area) has an appropriate IP rating.

*Not to be relied on in any way whatsoever.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Typical installation for gas cylinder directly connected to hob by means of a flexible hose -
    Hmmm, Dave your statement might be misleading to the uninformed. A gas cylinder may not be directly connected to a hob with a flexible hose if it passes through a compartment divider. As per Figure 4, Note 1, you need a fixed (metal) bulkhead connector installed in the divider with a flexible hose connected on either side. In reality you need to do this: Gas cylinder > hose > bulkhead connector 1 > divider > bulkhead connector 2 > flexible house > hob. I prefer to see the use of a short length of gas certified copper pipe and brass barbed compression nipples instead of the two bulkhead connectors.

On your question as to gas hob + electric stove please read Section 9 and I quote:

"9 Electrical equipment and other sources of ignition
    Where electrical equipment is placed within the safety distance as specified in figures 3, 4 and 6
    such equipment shall be in accordance with the requirements of SANS 10108.

Electrical equipment, such as light switches and plugs, shall be at least 200 mm away from any
    burner and potential point of gas release. Where it is necessary to install a gas hob together with an
    electric oven, a three-point plug socket shall not be used to connect the electric oven. A proper
    isolator switch shall be in place above the level of the hob and it shall have at least 200 mm
    clearance from the hob.

No electrical connection shall be made below the hob. See figures 3 and 4 for further connections."

My understanding of the above is the word switch means any isolator, plug or light switch and as long as these are not present you may install an electrical stove below the hob. Personally I would like to see the stove opening permanently ventilated to ensure any possible gas leaks run straight onto the floor and then hopefully to the required ventilation opening at floor level (if ever installed or the 6mm gap below the door frame created).
    Last edited by mygoggie; 11-Apr-17 at 02:14 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mygoggie View Post
    Hmmm, Dave your statement might be misleading to the uninformed.
    I merely quote the Figure 4 diagram label direct from the SANS code as an intro to Figure 4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I merely quote the Figure 4 diagram label direct from the SANS code as an intro to Figure 4
    NP, just wanted to highlight the fact that a flexible hose cannot run through a hole in the divider (still to see one that does not ;-) )

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mygoggie View Post
    Hmmm, Dave your statement might be misleading to the uninformed. A gas cylinder may not be directly connected to a hob with a flexible hose if it passes through a compartment divider. As per Figure 4, Note 1, you need a fixed (metal) bulkhead connector installed in the divider with a flexible hose connected on either side. In reality you need to do this: Gas cylinder > hose > bulkhead connector 1 > divider > bulkhead connector 2 > flexible house > hob. I prefer to see the use of a short length of gas certified copper pipe and brass barbed compression nipples instead of the two bulkhead connectors.

On your question as to gas hob + electric stove please read Section 9 and I quote:

"9 Electrical equipment and other sources of ignition
    Where electrical equipment is placed within the safety distance as specified in figures 3, 4 and 6
    such equipment shall be in accordance with the requirements of SANS 10108.

Electrical equipment, such as light switches and plugs, shall be at least 200 mm away from any
    burner and potential point of gas release. Where it is necessary to install a gas hob together with an
    electric oven, a three-point plug socket shall not be used to connect the electric oven. A proper
    isolator switch shall be in place above the level of the hob and it shall have at least 200 mm
    clearance from the hob.

No electrical connection shall be made below the hob. See figures 3 and 4 for further connections."

My understanding of the above is the word switch means any isolator, plug or light switch and as long as these are not present you may install an electrical stove below the hob. Personally I would like to see the stove opening permanently ventilated to ensure any possible gas leaks run straight onto the floor and then hopefully to the required ventilation opening at floor level (if ever installed or the 6mm gap below the door frame created).
    Thank you, in light of this I will now insist that gas/electric combinations be connected by cooker plug or wired directly to the isolator(I have yet to see this)
    Please confirm the height above a gas hob which may not have electrical equipment.
    Is this applicable to free standing units as well?(self contained on its own feet, not in a cupboard)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ef1629fas...combo.pdn?dl=0
    Last edited by Sparks; 12-Apr-17 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Addition

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast