Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Positioning of gas stoves relative to electrical equipment

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mygoggie View Post
    Hmmm, Dave your statement might be misleading to the uninformed.
    I merely quote the Figure 4 diagram label direct from the SANS code as an intro to Figure 4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I merely quote the Figure 4 diagram label direct from the SANS code as an intro to Figure 4
    NP, just wanted to highlight the fact that a flexible hose cannot run through a hole in the divider (still to see one that does not ;-) )

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mygoggie View Post
    Hmmm, Dave your statement might be misleading to the uninformed. A gas cylinder may not be directly connected to a hob with a flexible hose if it passes through a compartment divider. As per Figure 4, Note 1, you need a fixed (metal) bulkhead connector installed in the divider with a flexible hose connected on either side. In reality you need to do this: Gas cylinder > hose > bulkhead connector 1 > divider > bulkhead connector 2 > flexible house > hob. I prefer to see the use of a short length of gas certified copper pipe and brass barbed compression nipples instead of the two bulkhead connectors.

On your question as to gas hob + electric stove please read Section 9 and I quote:

"9 Electrical equipment and other sources of ignition
    Where electrical equipment is placed within the safety distance as specified in figures 3, 4 and 6
    such equipment shall be in accordance with the requirements of SANS 10108.

Electrical equipment, such as light switches and plugs, shall be at least 200 mm away from any
    burner and potential point of gas release. Where it is necessary to install a gas hob together with an
    electric oven, a three-point plug socket shall not be used to connect the electric oven. A proper
    isolator switch shall be in place above the level of the hob and it shall have at least 200 mm
    clearance from the hob.

No electrical connection shall be made below the hob. See figures 3 and 4 for further connections."

My understanding of the above is the word switch means any isolator, plug or light switch and as long as these are not present you may install an electrical stove below the hob. Personally I would like to see the stove opening permanently ventilated to ensure any possible gas leaks run straight onto the floor and then hopefully to the required ventilation opening at floor level (if ever installed or the 6mm gap below the door frame created).
    Thank you, in light of this I will now insist that gas/electric combinations be connected by cooker plug or wired directly to the isolator(I have yet to see this)
    Please confirm the height above a gas hob which may not have electrical equipment.
    Is this applicable to free standing units as well?(self contained on its own feet, not in a cupboard)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ef1629fas...combo.pdn?dl=0
    Last edited by Sparks; 12-Apr-17 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Addition

Thanks
    @Sparks, kindly print the PAINT file to a PDF as I cannot open it on my Mac

Thanks
    Sparks image as Pdf and jpeg versions;

Free standing gaselectric combo.pdf

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Free standing gaselectric combo.jpg 
Views:	3867 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	6736

6. Thanks given for this post:

mygoggie (14-Apr-17)

Thanks
    @Sparks,

I trust the following assists you.

With a stand alone appliance and container, there is a minimum distance of 300mm required between your stove and cylinder. Refer to paragraph 5.2.2.5 and Figure 1 below.

5.2.2.5 Containers shall be located at least 300 mm away from a gas stove (see figure 1) unless
    the container is protected from the heat of the stove in an approved manner

Name:	min distance - container to appliance.jpg 
Views:	458 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	6737

With regards to the distance behind the appliance, it must be at least 50 mm as per paragraph 6.2.5 below. Having said that please take note of the requirements of paragraphs 6.2.8 and 6.2.9. I think these paragraph also answer your question regarding the vertical space above a hob (even if free standing). Basically you need to determine the distance above the hob where the material used will not reach a temperature of 150C where all the burners are burning at full gas flow with no utensils placed on such burners. In general a distance of 1900mm from FFL is the minimum practical as any normal person does not want to bump their head against something when cooking.

"6.2.5 Appliances shall not be installed in small, confined spaces that are poorly ventilated. Gas
    burners require an unrestricted supply of fresh air and when a cooking appliance is being built in,
    the supply of fresh air for combustion shall not be impeded. Provision shall be made for any
    accumulations of unburnt gas to disperse safely, and also for the free escape of products of
    combustion. Where gas appliances that require back ventilation are installed against a wall, there
    shall be a gap of at least 50 mm between the appliance and the wall."

"6.2.8 Appliances shall be so sited in a room that there is no danger that they could set fire to
    furnishings (for example, a gas stove shall not be positioned immediately below a combustible shelf
    or in a position where curtains could be near its cooking top)."

"6.2.9 Where combustible or ignitable material near an appliance is liable to attain ignition
    temperature or to be exposed to heat damage, provision shall be made to protect such material.

The material can be protected by mounting an insulating non-combustible material between the
    appliance and the combustible material so as to provide an air space of width at least 15 mm.
    Where built-in kitchen equipment is used, the surfaces of adjacent structures in contact with an
    appliance shall be of materials that will not deteriorate at temperatures of up to 150 °C."

Thanks
    Thank you for all the replies, I appreciate everyone's time and effort.

9. Thanks given for this post:

mygoggie (19-Apr-17)

Thanks
    Hi every one.

I just came across this thread, and would like your input, regarding the installation of my Stove. The Stove is also an Electric Oven with Gas for cooking.
    My plan is to install the oven free standing with my gas bottles on the outside of the building and the stove plug is situated directly behind the stove.
    I have include a jpeg of the layout, including a few dimensions.

On the left of the stove is a fridge and on the right of the stove is a grocery cupboard. Both are approximately 700mm form the stove.
    The isolator is situated 400 (y) by 600 (x) away from the stove.

Do you think I have left enough of a gap between everything?

Name:	Layout.jpg 
Views:	957 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	6821

Thanks

Thanks
    From the answers received to my query you are good to go.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by montronic View Post
    ... and the stove plug is situated directly behind the stove.
    I'd suggest it's placed above the level of the hob and at least 200mm off to the side.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast