well well were do i start.

from my experience

i had a bakkie arrive at a house which i was renting...the so called electrician steps out of his bakkie with a couple tools and tells me he is there to repair a few items in the house...so i left him to do the repairs...when he was finished i asked him some really basic question like dont you need testers to do a COC...his reply no he has a mate who just signs off COCs for him... he trust that he does a good job well you should have seen his face when i told him i was from the deptment of labour...i told him R500 cash would keep me quiet.

i have done reports with regards to shopping centres which are fire hazards...the response sorry no money in the budget. my wife and children go to some of these centres which is what concerns me.

so far one has caught on fire which apparently cost the insurance almost R300000.00.

then of course there are the contractors who are ripping the butt end out of the COCs making an absolute killing out the public.

dont forget the electricians who are helping out their customers, friends and family members by not doing all the repairs required to make the electrical installation reasonably safe...so when they sell their properties a few years later cant understand why they have to spend thousands bring up to standard.

i had a customer who purchased a house for a few million...contacted me because the lights would not work so i went and had a look...the wires had been removed...so i looked around found a few other things which were not acceptable so we contacted the person who issued the COC... they came back and spent 2 weeks doing repairs to bring the house up to standard after 2 weeks...damaged ceilings...dirty finger marks all over the roof etc the company was asked to leave...we then got a company which only does COC inspections... who then gave a report 2 pages long of faults which required attention.

once again the only ones getting the short end of the stick..."the public" who doesnt know any better... shame on all you electrical contractors who take short cuts and over inflate prices for your own personal gain... i hope you all sleep well at night.