Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 220 V LED downlighters glowing when switched off

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    We have also been encountering a similar problem...LED downlight flickers when switched off...on 3 occasions we found it to be the same make (Ellies) ...replaced the lamp with a different brand...problem solved.
    I have had this issue with the new osram LED downlight gu10s , the older ones never gave me this issue. Usually I install a bleed resistor in one of the OBO round pvc boxes with a few air holes in Lid, connected in parallel to the load of course

Thanks
    Here's one that should put the cat amongst the pigeons. Not for the faint hearted but you could also replace the standard light switch with a 2-way switch wired with the light on common, the live on one side and an earth on the other. When the switch is in one position (ON) it connects the light to the live supply, in the other position (OFF) it connects the light to the earth which sinks any stray voltages and stops the flickering problem. Can't be done if the light circuit is on earth leakage though...

I'd be interested to know if you can find a regulation to forbid it, it's certainly guaranteed to confuse the hell out of DIY'ers and half awake sparkies alike so some documentation or at least a circuit sketch tucked into the switch for the poor soul who has to work on it next time. You'd also need documentation in the main DB to explian the insulation test results for that particular circuit.....not that anyone seems to be doing IR test any more

3. Thanks given for this post:

hartdev@hotmail.com (06-Sep-17)

Thanks
    That's a much better way. Why didn't i think of that.
    Definetly best if you can get a neutral down to the switch.
    The first time i worked on s3000 switches i noticed the leds connected to earth but was ok as the light circuits were not on earth leakage.
    Could make some nice led indicated s2000 switches with your idea!

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi Andy

Have to strongly disagree with your method - You would effectively be earthing the neutral which is not allowed under
    6.1.6 – pg 83 – Neutral shall not be connected direct to earth on the load side of point of control.ED 1.8

It will also create a fire risk if for some reason you lose your incoming neutral from the street , The complete installation will be using the neutral/ earth , Star point as reference - The amperage could increase drastically on your pieces of 1,5sqmm wiring. Even worse if the complete street tries to earth through your star point

Thanks
    The method I outlined was kinda tongue in cheek, hence the emojis and suggestion it would put the cat amongst the pigeons. It wouldn't connect the neutral direct to earth as per the reg 6.1.6, the load of the lighting circuit would be between the neutral and earth so it would be a high resistance connection, not a direct one.

Neutral faults on the supply side are always problematic with TN C S supplies hence they're more often than not PME'd to prevent elevated earth voltages. If a neutral fault occurs on a TN C S installation there's always a good chance the neutral current is going to find its way down some arbitary parallel path and cause an overload/fire hazard, I don't think this circuit wiring would increase the chance of this happening as such.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12