So a Company has asked me to do the AC side of solar installations. They are a well established company and have done a lot of solar installations in Cape town as well as Gauteng.

I know the SANS 10142 doesn't cover embedded generators but as far as I understand from guideline published so far electrical equipment installed in and around an embedded generator should comply with the wiring code (see quote below from interim guidelines until proper standards are published).

http://pqrs.co.za/wp-content/uploads...th-Africa-.pdf

I have done a lot of solar installs in the UK and basically the grid tie system there went from a circuit breaker in the board, through an isolator (breaking all poles) through metering equipment (showing power generated from solar system) before the cable run up to another isolator near the inverter.

Opinions of issuing a COC on this part of the installation. I would just see the inverter as a fixed appliance essentially.

Agree/disagree/opinions.

The solar revolution is coming to SA- would prefer to be part of it.

'By way of a note, the South African National Standard, SANS 0142-1, [Code of Practice for] The Wiring of
Premises, specifically excludes embedded generators in the ambit of applicability, i.e. where such
embedded generators will be operated in parallel with a utility distribution grid.
Electrical equipment installed in and around an embedded generator (e.g. grid-tie inverter with certain
peripheral equipment), should comply to the wiring code, in order that a Certificate of Compliance (CoC)
may be issued.'