Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Issuing electrical COCs - On a hiding to nothing!

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    I think section 'a' allows earthing continuity conductors to be galvanised steel conduit for example.
    Andy I read the relevant standard quoted here, a) earth continuity conductors (see 6.12.1.9)
    I dont see where galvanised steel conduit can be used as an earthing conductor.
    I think the following excludes it
    "6.12.1.3 A wireway shall not be used as an earth continuity conductor."
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Suspended
    Thanks
    what is important...the fact that people are discussing issues...the more we talk and the more people "get involved" the better it will get...its just to get everyone involved...we need an industry leader...like a union of sorts to stand up for the contractors and the industry as a whole...the eca is an established organisation...but unfortuntely just doesnt have any powers...and the AIA are in it for a buck...so if we could start an organisation which would look after everyone especially the little guys...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leecatt View Post
    Andy I read the relevant standard quoted here, a) earth continuity conductors (see 6.12.1.9)
    I dont see where galvanised steel conduit can be used as an earthing conductor.
    I think the following excludes it
    "6.12.1.3 A wireway shall not be used as an earth continuity conductor."
    I can see I'm going to have to blow the dust of my regs with some of the new threads that are now running. I'll double check about steel conduit being allowable as CPC. It may have been a bad example but the point still stands, I don't think those regs you quoted exclude cabtyre as you concluded.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    I can see I'm going to have to blow the dust of my regs with some of the new threads that are now running. I'll double check about steel conduit being allowable as CPC. It may have been a bad example but the point still stands, I don't think those regs you quoted exclude cabtyre as you concluded.
    I would like to discuss the cabtyre point more, If anyone can add to whether or not it is legal to wire a house in cabtyre add a submission here please
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Email problem
    Thanks
    i see we have 2 almost identical threads running now, 6.1.11 excludes it, except for certain conditions. cabtyre up to 4mm is classified as flexible cord.

Thanks
    It is allowed if stated in the product standard (6.1.11 - C) so this would depend on the manufacturer and what type of cabtyre. I'm assuming in this thread the general discussion is around PVC but we far more commonly use HO7RNF which is neoprene.

From a common sense point of view, I don't consider it good practise to use it as installation cabling but many types of cabtyre have a far higher specification than FT+e or housewire-in-conduit so I wouldn't necessarily consider it unsafe if terminated with ferrules. Another thing going for cabtyre is that the CSA of the earth wire is the same as the live and neutral conductors whereas FT+e invariably has a reduced CPC CSA, sometimes it's even two wire sizes smaller depending on cable size.

Thanks
    Hi Guys
    I am a newly qualified electrician with my wiremans license. I really saddens me to see COC's charged at R450. To me these people are bringing down the reputation and integrity of installation electricians throughout the country.

Thanks
    I suppose if it's a smal installation and you can complete testing in an hour then R450 might be a viable price. I think some domestic electricians might price the COC as a 'loss leader', knowing it will probably lead to further remedial work which is far more lucrative. Also after the initial failure the customer is semi tied into that electrician because of the reduced re-test fee.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueArc View Post
    Hi Guys
    I am a newly qualified electrician with my wiremans license. I really saddens me to see COC's charged at R450. To me these people are bringing down the reputation and integrity of installation electricians throughout the country.
    i agree...but as the saying goes if you cant beat them join them...what i do now is instead of checking the complete installation like you are suppose to i do a spot checks then hammer the customer with a repair bill which covers all the just in case i missed...from experience you can normally see if the installation is "resonably safe" or a dangerous installation...the beuty about COC is there is no policing so its a money making racket...99 % of the installations i have been called out to check after an istallation has been passed and sold...has resulted in me doing the repairs because the customer is just not interested in the hassle of a court case...and the worse part is that they pay the bill for the investigation...

as i have mentioned time and time again...honestly i have no sympathy for a purchaser who doesnt have the electrical installtion checked by his/her own electrician before making one of the biggest investments of his/her life..if you stupid enough to buy a property checked by the seller...then you must suffer the consiqueses of your own stupidity...very sad but unfortunatly a reality.

the project i am busy with right now has this exact issue...we just dont have time to start fighting over whos responsible for what...we have deadline to meet for the customer to move in...by the time i have completed the project it will be safe and signed over with a valid COC.

Thanks
    Does anyone know when the e-COC will be available. Good idea to do this as we will be able to have an electronic copy on our files.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234