Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Issuing electrical COCs - On a hiding to nothing!

Suspended
    Thanks
    a typical example...i have just finished a complete rewire of an old house i do all the tests and hand over the coc i go back to remove the masking tape label and stick the permanent label on the DB i see new tv aerial and of course no earthing...well try sue me for this...i wish somebody would try...the person who installed the aerial and the copmany should be held responsible for his action and i would say a R20000.00 fine would make him think the next time he installs one...but unfortunately in the real world some installation electrician will be held responsible when the house gets sold...i am just getting soooooooo tired of this kind of cr*p.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Hi,

Pay special attention to the identification and demarcation of the DBs and the circuits, during the preparation to enable you to issue a CoC.
    Do NOT use the labels that you can buy over the counter (i.e "PLUGS", "LIGHTS", etc)for larger installations, but rather "connect-by-notation",
    all of the DBs and circuits.

By doing so, the electricity itself will become naked to you, which mean that not even a single circuit can hide from you. Sounds like a lot of
    extra work, but the client are obliged to pay for it. How?

SECTION 3 of the Inspection and Test Report, give you as a registered person, the right to describe the installation in detail. Your issued CoC
    can only be as complete as your description of the installation. Basically a CoC is the placing of an electrical installation on PAPER.

Because of the incapable, corrupt authorities, we need to cover for ourselves in a professional manner, leaving no loopholes at all.
    If this highly potent system of "connecting-by-notation" is crab, then I wouldn't be able to simultaneously do the CoCs of six
    large factories. Not a single circuit can escape this method. (The inspection is done at the same time when doing the identification
    and demarcation, and the obvious short comings recorded.)

Another thing: DO NOT include machinery into the CoC. Cut-off the CoC right there by the isolator of the machine. Why?
    Machines are "appliances" (hie-hie), and fall under the Machinery Regulations. You are only expected from, to make sure that the
    machine indeed have an isolator on or nearby it, and that it is earthed and have the required bonding conductors, where applicable.
    Naturally I also connect between machine and DB by notation.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1reniernel View Post
    Hi,

Machines are "appliances" (hie-hie), and fall under the Machinery Regulations.
    Not quite. The integral wiring of appliances, depending on the length thereof, just may form part of the COC.

Email problem
    Thanks
    slightly off topic,section 4 of the new cocs inspection and tests page 5 line 15 : reticulation installations . whats that about?

Thanks
    Exactly that, reticulation. You would find reticulation at a complex or large factory premises where there is a "network" of cables.

Email problem
    Thanks

Selling of a factory premises

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Not quite. The integral wiring of appliances, depending on the length thereof, just may form part of the COC.
    Can you perhaps give me an example of an appliance of which integral wiring must be included in the CoC?

Thanks
    An eyelevel oven with a hob connected to it more than 1m away, the interconnecting cables form part of the COC. The COC does not end at the first point of termination. The actual oven and hob however are still not part of the COC.

The connecting cables of a split unit aircon unless mounted back to back will also qualify.
    Last edited by Sparks; 12-Feb-12 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Addition

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    dave
    what you should have done...what everyone else is doing is just fitted a plug top to the cable feeding the outbuiding and you are no longer responsible...it no longer forms part of the installation...time and money saved..
    Ive heard of this before and actually seen it about 8 years ago. However I read in an electrical Magazine, could have been Sparks, that it would be contested and the electrician would be found responsible for the alienated circuitry. I can no longer find the relevant article but the following portion of the Electrical Regulations seem to back this up, unless I am reading it wrong. Comments more than welcome to clear this up.

"electrical installation" means any machinery, in or on any premises, used for the transmission of electricity from a point of control to a point of consumption anywhere on the premises, including any article forming part of such an electrical installation irrespective of whether or not it is part of the electrical circuit, but excluding..........(not relevant)

Full regulations here
    http://www.labour.gov.za/downloads/l...egulations.doc
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Thanks
    Spot on Leecatt

Suspended
    Thanks
    so tell me how a ready board works...in low cost housing...1 db...3 plugs and you know the rest...

please show me typical cases where the AIA or DOL have enforced this ruling.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast