Thread: UIF deduction for employee with two employers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

UIF deduction for employee with two employers

Good Day

If an employee has two employers and earns in excess of the ceiling from each of these (in other words the first employer already deducted the maximum UIF contribution) is the second employer allowed to deduct zero UIF contribution for the employee.

Thanks
    Hi Alan C

Have you perhaps found an answer to your question elsewhere? I have this exact same question and would greatly appreciate it if you'd share any feedback you may have received in this regard. Many thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsH View Post
    Hi Alan C

Have you perhaps found an answer to your question elsewhere? I have this exact same question and would greatly appreciate it if you'd share any feedback you may have received in this regard. Many thanks in advance.
    Hi MrsH

I eventually got a written reply yesterday which says that both companies have to make the deduction. In other words the employee pays double the minimum contribution and each company the matching amount. The written response omitted a reply to my question which was - if that is the case can the employee claim double benefits if the occasion arises. The same question posed telephonically produced a reply something like- I don't really know but I suppose so.

This was the reply

Dear Client

Kindly note that the requirements still stands and therefor both Companies have to contribute in such instances of scenario.

Thank You.

Webmaster.

I will not go into making comments about grammar, but it seems you have to pay twice, and if you ever need to claim, you will have a long battle on your hands. I daresay this situation is not covered directly in the rules, so it depends where you look for your answer.

Thanks
    As far as I know, Only one employer can contribute to the UIF for an employee. So yes, the second employer should not deduct, nor contribute for this employee.
    always fear when Christel is near....

Thanks
    Section 4, the Unemployment Insurance Contributions Act, 2002, applies to all employers and employees, where the employee is employed by that employer for more than 24 hours per month.
    Therefore the contributions must be made in all instances (and in respect of the same person) where there is an employer and an employee.
    Therefore, if an employee works more than 24 hours per month at multiple employers all the employers as well as the employee must contribute to the Unemployment Insurance Fund.