Hi all,

First time poster here needing some assistance with regards to municipal earthing requirements / by-laws and regulations in place.

Some context:
I live in the Germiston area and bought a home a few years ago. The home is relatively old. I would guess less than 20 years old.
When I purchased the home I received a COC as is required. I had a second contractor validate the COC and go through the home independantly, all was clear and according to regulation. Nonetheless, I was electricuted as a result of incorrect wiring of my gate motor. Told the electrician I would report him to the electrical compliance board if he didn't rectify the issue. Over time a few of these calls were made to the issuing electrician.

Over the past few years I have been hit by lightning every time there is a lightning storm. I have claimed from my insurer multiple times. After my last claim I received a letter from my insurer stating that I'm a high risk customer and that if any further claims are made to my household cover an excess of R 10 000 will be required. The insurer also advised that I get my property evaluated by an electrician and or to install lightning protection.

Subsequently I managed to get a third electrician out to the property who within minutes identified that I have no municipal earthing. I was given a specific form to complete and submitted this to the Germiston municipality. As fortunate as I am, I was struck again and a fair amount of damage was done once more, all during the time that my request to the municipality was in progress (regardless to say that the municipality closed the case due to gross incompetence and not even sending an engineer to my home to evaluate the case). I digress....

I would assume that the electrical supply company would be required by law to ensure that all homes are municipal earthed given that there is a risk of electrical shock due to insufficient earthing?

Anyway, what do I need help with?
  1. Who can I hold liable here? The COC issuing electrician or the municipality?
  2. What regulations cover municipality earthing if any?
  3. Can I claim damages in this case?
  4. Am i chasing my own tail here trying to hold someone liable here?

This issue is really starting to affect me so much so that I want to sell the home I have come to love but I really don't believe that is the solution. I want to prove to my insurer that I have taken all reasonable actions to remedy this situation in hopes that my excess and premium costs would go down. Over and above the previous statement I want to be 100% sure that this doesn't and can't lead to serious injury if electrocuted accidentally.