I recently purchased a 2010 low mileage Volkswagen Scirocco. The car is pristine and well looked after by the previous owner.

After researching this vehicle I have read that these models (2.0 TSI) have a timing chain failure issue that could happen at any mileage.

Apparently the cause of the failure is an inferior timing chain tensioner of earlier models 2010 - 2013/09. VW never did a recall on this obvious manufacturing defect and covered only damages (due to it) under the warranty period. My vehicle is out of warranty and the reason this may not have happened is because of previous owner hardly driving the vehicle since the car is on 60 000km's.

I have subsequently received quotes for repairing the manufacturer defect from VW of R12 500.00. The vehicle has a Full Service History at the agents, last service performed in August this year 2016.

My questions are:

1. VWSA not done preventative maintenance on a known issue of said vehicle (TSB Bulletin) or at the least informed the previous owner to perform this repairs while under warranty. Am I within my rights to demand they discount this preventative maintenance to be done?
2. Can the private dealership I bought the vehicle from also be requested to cover the costs since they had sold me the vehicle not having done a check to see if this part was replaced under warranty?
4. Can I return the vehicle back to the dealership (I only have it since the 17th November and have put 400km's on it) due to this defective part that could cause severe engine damage should it break?

I would just like some advise...the vehicle is running fine no issues.