Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 38

Thread: Join me in saluting the Goffal Committee of Rhodesia/Zimbabwe.

  1. #11
    Diamond Member Blurock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Durban
    Posts
    3,552
    Thanks
    677
    Thanked 783 Times in 644 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Taking Chris's questions one step further -
    Are South Africans too easily offended?
    Very often people will unnecessarily make an issue of a small thing just to "prove a point" or to get back at another race group, language group, religious group or whatever. What we have to bear in mind is that it's not really words that hurt, but attitudes. That is why black Americans can call each other "niggers" at times, but when a police officer uses that term, it is offensive. It is because it implicates that the officer is superior to the black guy.

    Our history is one of turmoil and war, of victor and conquered, of slaves and masters. Even today you get white Afrikaners who resent the British because of the atrocities (read war crimes) of the Boer war. The black tribes conquered by the Brits and the Boers may feel the same resentment. Descendants of the slaves in the Cape Colony do not want to be reminded of their forefathers' suffering. Therefore any derogatory word that may suggest that a person is of a lower class or lesser breed will be seen as offensive.

    It is therefore essential that we learn more about our different cultures and start respecting each other as people. Treating people with respect breeds mutual trust on which a future can be built. We need to plant the seeds now for our future generations to live prosperous and peaceful lives in this beautiful country.

    Not all South Africans have had the same opportunities with regard to education or training, however our resilience has seen many South African sons and daughters rise above poverty and prejudice to become respected entrepreneurs and leaders not only in their communities, but also on the world stage. Let's aspire to rise with them and refrain from pulling each other down instead.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

  2. #12
    Diamond Member AndyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    4,711
    Thanks
    550
    Thanked 894 Times in 723 Posts
    Not having had the benefit of being raised in SA (I arrived here when I was in my 30's) the words such as 'goffel' or 'haut' probably don't have the same impact on me as other readers, obviously I'm aware of their meanings and even some of their undertones but to me their almost foreign words and they don't invoke any particular emotion.

    Even reading it through more cynical eyes I wouldn't take away any malice or racist undertones from the post, quite the opposite in fact, Chris obviously has a place in his heart for this group of people.

    When I first read the opening post the thing that struck me first was a certain unease at the glorification and almost delight that was implied at the way a group of grown people who viewed the world through narrow blinkers of inexperience and possibly lack of education asked the types of questions (and in such away) that young children might ask. It reminded me of the way parents glorify or take great delight in their children to other parents/adults when they ask awkward questions that are difficult to answer because of the childs limited base of knowledge on which you could pitch a useful answer. I guess in short I worried it was patronising.
    _______________________________________________
    I am special and so is Vanash.
    _______________________________________________

  3. #13
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    225
    Thanks
    74
    Thanked 45 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by HR Solutions View Post
    Ok I understand where you are coming from now Chris ...... Are you the retired judge that was on our television recently ?
    Yes … and as such I have a love of the “whole truth”, including the whole truth about the rich diversity of this region.
    As a Coloured person this sub-group occupy a special place in my heart and I imagined that their existence would be of interest to members as one more panel in the mosaic making up the humans in this region.
    I also imagined that members would be intrigued at how spectacularly right they have been proved by the supposedly most advanced people on this planet in their insistence that “bullsh*t baffles brains”.
    Why anybody feels offended by this baffles me to the nth degree.
    Let us have the conversation!
    Blog: http://coginito.blogspot.com Cognito ergo sum

  4. #14
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    225
    Thanks
    74
    Thanked 45 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    Not having had the benefit of being raised in SA (I arrived here when I was in my 30's) the words such as 'goffel' or 'haut' probably don't have the same impact on me as other readers, obviously I'm aware of their meanings and even some of their undertones but to me their almost foreign words and they don't invoke any particular emotion.

    Even reading it through more cynical eyes I wouldn't take away any malice or racist undertones from the post, quite the opposite in fact, Chris obviously has a place in his heart for this group of people.

    When I first read the opening post the thing that struck me first was a certain unease at the glorification and almost delight that was implied at the way a group of grown people who viewed the world through narrow blinkers of inexperience and possibly lack of education asked the types of questions (and in such away) that young children might ask. It reminded me of the way parents glorify or take great delight in their children to other parents/adults when they ask awkward questions that are difficult to answer because of the childs limited base of knowledge on which you could pitch a useful answer. I guess in short I worried it was patronising.
    Lol... There is actually no need to try an "over- intellectualize" simple anecdotal recounting of human experience. Just accept what you are reading and resist imputing imagined motives. The article provides the motive ... i.e, it is intended to inform. amuse, bemuse, intrigue .... as ALL stories about humans are intended to do.
    Last edited by ChrisNG53; 19-Nov-16 at 01:18 PM.
    Let us have the conversation!
    Blog: http://coginito.blogspot.com Cognito ergo sum

  5. Thanks given for this post:

    AndyD (22-Nov-16)

  6. #15
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    225
    Thanks
    74
    Thanked 45 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    As to their sense of humour there is the following exchange –

    Me: You know there was this inquest to-day at the court
    Curry: Ya, ou Vavie, tell us who frekked [died] (Vavie is me)
    Me: This guy had crabs ... you know ... pubic lice
    Nags: Naa, crabs don't kill man ... they just tickle ... and itch like mad
    Me: He tried to get rid of the crabs ... with paraffin and stuff ... when that failed he finally rubbed Rogor CE [garden pesticide] onto his testicles ... he was dead in 2 hours
    Cooler: Wow ... doed [dead] in 2 hours ... because of Rogor ... that's heavy man
    Me: You see Rogor is an organophosphorus poison, [I add sapientially] it is absorbed through the skin into the blood stream. So when it got to his kidneys and liver - that was it - in just 2 hours …
    Mabeans: The haute was dwaarse [slow witted] ... if he was a goffal he would have soaked his balls in brandy ... so the crabs could have had a lekker party.
    Then, when they were high on dop, he would have added river sand ... and the crabs would then have all stoned each other to death ... problem solved [he finishes with a flourish amidst peals of laughter].
    Let us have the conversation!
    Blog: http://coginito.blogspot.com Cognito ergo sum

  7. #16
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Had enough
    Posts
    3,360
    Thanks
    114
    Thanked 214 Times in 202 Posts
    I think we have become supersensitive ....... those (myself included) who tries to avoid race issues and hates it when someone starts "stirring" the pot or causing plain kak by creating a racial issue when sometimes there is not ! Yes we should be able to talk and joke about certain things. My son is at Wits at the mo and has seen the crap that has gone on their and tells us that half of the "protestors" are not actual protesters but those that are causing crap for the sake of it and join the protesters gravy train. Yes we all know this but that is why the rest of us sometimes becomes oversensitive and tries to avoid things like that at all cost and conversations especially on the internet. This was my initial thinking of this post. SA has become a ticking time bomb - it is as if people are just waiting for the opportunity to call the race card. Why can we not just live in harmony together. It is clear that this will never happen throughout the world.

  8. #17
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    225
    Thanks
    74
    Thanked 45 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by HR Solutions View Post
    I think we have become supersensitive ....... those (myself included) who tries to avoid race issues and hates it when someone starts "stirring" the pot or causing plain kak by creating a racial issue when sometimes there is not ! Yes we should be able to talk and joke about certain things. My son is at Wits at the mo and has seen the crap that has gone on their and tells us that half of the "protestors" are not actual protesters but those that are causing crap for the sake of it and join the protesters gravy train. Yes we all know this but that is why the rest of us sometimes becomes oversensitive and tries to avoid things like that at all cost and conversations especially on the internet. This was my initial thinking of this post. SA has become a ticking time bomb - it is as if people are just waiting for the opportunity to call the race card. Why can we not just live in harmony together. It is clear that this will never happen throughout the world.
    It is a simple matter of choice.
    The mature open mind has no difficulty in appreciating realities and abstracting that which is good and discarding that which is bad.
    Just about everything is made up of good, bad and ugly.
    Just take your pick.
    Let us have the conversation!
    Blog: http://coginito.blogspot.com Cognito ergo sum

  9. #18
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    225
    Thanks
    74
    Thanked 45 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    So much time has passed since I first put this up.
    During that time the Monte Python type wisdom of the group I adverted to has been more than vindicated, in terms of the surreal state that the USA now finds itself in, being ruled by a leader whose blindingly clear chief attributes are bullcrap and buffoonery.
    Let us have the conversation!
    Blog: http://coginito.blogspot.com Cognito ergo sum

  10. #19
    Email problem vieome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    joburg
    Posts
    533
    Thanks
    58
    Thanked 159 Times in 118 Posts
    Blog Entries
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisNG53 View Post
    So much time has passed since I first put this up.
    During that time the Monte Python type wisdom of the group I adverted to has been more than vindicated, in terms of the surreal state that the USA now finds itself in, being ruled by a leader whose blindingly clear chief attributes are bullcrap and buffoonery.
    Judge

    Firstly, I get the point you are trying to make. But there are many factors that are vague. I have noticed that on the one hand you have a vested interest in your attempts to provoke white guilt. I am betting someone like Cooler would say "Sh*t happens." One of the problems you miss, is that although one could argue that there is such a thing as Goffal pride, there are many bad elements connected to the term Goffal and many elements of Goffal people that are bad.

    I would prefer if you looked at the idea, of what it meant to be a goffal, in which a whole sub culture of people, mixed from all nations of the world bonded into one. We had white goffals, black goffals, chinese goffals, indians goffals etc. As Goffals we are nothing more than a footnote in the history of mankind. Yes there is the brown valvet awards and that, but just like we were formed out of British white guilt, we have melted away and blended into what ever exile country we have chosen.

    I have written a book about Goffal life, but do any of these people from the community you want me to salute support. NO they dont because that is part of the Goffal nature.

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1079902937

    So I will not join you in saluting them. Ha Sut, goffals are not what they used to be, let me be the one to tune you, if you want elucidate mensir about Goffals, take your story to the Queen, ask Her about the Great British Betrayal of the Goffals, that were left to suffer after Lanchester agreement. Why are they not entitled to British rights, like the white colonizers were.

    You bring your message to the ForumSA, and to the Rhodesian forum, why not go to the source directly. Ask the bloody Queen to Salute the Goffals.


  11. #20
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    225
    Thanks
    74
    Thanked 45 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by HR Solutions View Post
    Ok I understand where you are coming from now Chris ...... Are you the retired judge that was on our television recently ?
    Yes.
    Let us have the conversation!
    Blog: http://coginito.blogspot.com Cognito ergo sum

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Davis Tax Committee on tax in the SME sector
    By Dave A in forum Tax Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-Apr-16, 11:45 AM
  2. read tape committee and labour law
    By duncan drennan in forum General Business Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 23-Jun-06, 08:39 PM

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •