Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on choosing an offer

Thanks

Advice on choosing an offer

Hi everyone

I've been offered employment at a certain company that has more growth and new challenges which is what I'm looking for. They are offering R12,000 more in their package. The difference is that my current employer offers a car lease benefit - we lease a brand new car a year at a very reasonable rate and I personally don't own a car. I stay 9 min drive from my current employer (spend around R600 pm on fuel) and the new company offering employment is 55 km away and I may spend around R3000 per month on fuel, not to mention that I will drive on the N1/M1 and get stuck in traffic. I'm considering declining their offer on the basis that by leaving my current employer, I will have to purchase a car and pay insurance premium - could cost around R7000 pm. Before making a final decision, I need some advice on what anyone here thinks, i.e, what would you do if you were in my situation? Would you accept or decline the offer?

Thanks
    Move to 9 minutes from the new company if it is really what you are looking for, job satisfaction is worth a little inconvenience.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    I would have done that wynn, I forgot to mention that I cannot move as I currently stay at a house I've just bought (moved in April). I might be able to move, I don't know.

Thanks
    Selling a house so soon can be a costly mistake, hence.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Its all about stability of the company's concerned in the current economic climate.

Will the companies concerned have the resilience, innovation and financial ability to weather out the coming storm?
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

6. Thanks given for this post:

SolePro (31-Oct-16)

Thanks
    The current company has been in business for more than 40 years and continues to manufacture and introduce new cars in the market. The other company is yet to complete it's manufacturing plant, been around a few years, less than 5 and has secured a 20 year multi-billion tender to manufacture it's products in the country.

Suspended
    Thanks
    It seems that the car factor is a big thing? It shouldn't be. Yes distance should be a small factor but the main deciding factor should be the company that has made you the offer ? Have you done your research ? Will moving benefit your career and is the company stable and better for you in the long run ? Look at job satisfaction, growth within the company etc etc.

9. Thanks given for this post:

SolePro (31-Oct-16)

Thanks
    Yeah, I've actually made the car factor a big thing, I added the car and fuel cost and subtracted it to the new net pay - leaves me with R2500 more than my current net pay (less R600). I thought that leaving my current employer for R2500 won't be worth it. Yes, moving will benefit my career as there is tremendous growth at the new company. But I'm also concerned about job security as I've heard from an inside source that they retrenched almost all of their HR staff and hired new staff. I also hate driving long distance. I just don't want to make a bad decision and live to regret it, seems I'm making a mistake by declining because I'm making the car factor a big thing.

Suspended
    Thanks
    From my experience in recruitment you get some people that will go and work for a company at a lower salary because they see the bigger picture and they can see themselves somewhere else in the company in 5 years and they work towards that. Some people will take a drop in salary for this and i have even had one candidate who said he would work for nothing for 3 months to prove himself. So at the end of the day I can say to you that it should not be about the car but the bigger picture. You didnt seem to like this, but you are asking our opinion - if you look at the company and where you will be in 5 years compared to where you will be at your current company, you should make your decision based on this. But it is your choice at the end of the day.

Just a question - you obviously went for an interview at this new company. Did you research them before hand ? Did you know how far it was and that it was two major highways that you had to go on ? And if you did - why did you go for the interview if you thought it was too far ? These are questions that we ask our candidates before hand as well so as not to waste their time and our time and our clients time to try to eliminate before hand

12. Thanks given for this post:

SolePro (31-Oct-16)

Suspended
    Thanks
    You posted this on another thread - So you really seem unhappy where you are and are looking for options either to start you own business or move - so I think you are answering your own question ....

H
    ello everyone, I am SolePro. I joined this forum because I need a lot of information about starting a business. I have seen people's questions being answered satisfactory and I can tell there is so much I am going to learn as this forum seems to be full of vital information.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast