Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on choosing an offer

Thanks
    Yes, I researched the company before hand. Apart from the job satisfaction, I was also expecting them to meet my expectations, salary wise. I only started thinking carefully during the course of negotiations and based on my calculations I was expecting R17,000 more instead of R12,000 considering the car and distance. Their initial offer was R7000 more. I was willing to accept their offer if they had met my expectations. But on hindsight I might be making a bad mistake that's why I'm asking everyone's opinion.

Thanks
    That's right I'm really not happy where I am . Oh well, I guess I gotta reconsider.

Suspended
    Thanks
    You are going to be getting more, just not what you hoped. You are unhappy where you are. Starting a new business in todays economy is very difficult without capital and the knowledge and therefore very risky. I would recommend - take the offer

4. Thanks given for this post:

SolePro (31-Oct-16)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SolePro View Post
    The current company has been in business for more than 40 years and continues to manufacture and introduce new cars in the market. The other company is yet to complete it's manufacturing plant, been around a few years, less than 5 and has secured a 20 year multi-billion tender to manufacture it's products in the country.
    Negotiate with your current company and see if they can offer you something better?

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverNodashi View Post
    Negotiate with your current company and see if they can offer you something better?
    Im not to sure if it is the actual money that is making him unhappy ...... so will a better offer help at the current employer ?

Thanks
    Advice from my side - I used to be in a similar situation where my car, fuel, insurance etc was paid for and received a new car every year. There are very few companies who offer this type of benefit. It eventually becomes an issue in that you have to stay with the current company or industry as you pretty much cannot afford to lose the benefit.

8. Thanks given for this post:

SolePro (07-Nov-16)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    R12 000 gross increase, after taxes with the extra car payments and time lost traveling may amount to a very underwhelming net increase. Also what if you make the move and dislike the new company culture, or have to work with a passive aggressive, ball busting bitch/bastard?

In my mind the focus should be more on the opportunity, and work environment rather than the money.

Thanks
    Solepro... if i may add my 2 cents... dont sell your house !

You can always re-invest nearer to your job and have all the benefits you are after, i personally wouldn't like to commute that far... ill rent out my current house and see if i can buy another if affordability isn't an issue.
    As someone mentioned when you sell now (assuming you didn't buy under market value) you'll loose in the sense of transfer duties paid and you'll loose again in the form of agent commission when selling.

This will also set you up in the future for rental income when you retire !

11. Thanks given for this post:

SolePro (07-Nov-16)

Thanks
    It's the current job that's making me unhappy - no growth, unchallenged and I'm just bored, that's why I applied for a new job to challenge me. At the same time I didn't want to be disadvantaged with car and travelling expenses.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MariliseM View Post
    Advice from my side - I used to be in a similar situation where my car, fuel, insurance etc was paid for and received a new car every year. There are very few companies who offer this type of benefit. It eventually becomes an issue in that you have to stay with the current company or industry as you pretty much cannot afford to lose the benefit.
    That's right, this is a very good benefit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast