Thread: Pervasive Client / Server deployment issues

Thanks

Pervasive Client / Server deployment issues

Hello all,

I hope you guys can assist me with an issue. I have just deployed a brand new server (Server 2012 R2 Essentials). I have 13 workstations which will all connect to this server. I have reinstalled each of these workstations so as to eliminate all inherent issues on those machines. Call it a fresh start. Here is the problem.

Notes:
    a) Partner 14 is installed to C:\Pastel14 on my server as normal.
    b) All company data is sitting on a separate NAS drive which is connected to the DC.
    c) The company was previously running pervasive workgroup 10
    d) Anti-virus has not yet been deployed in this environment.

1.) I installed PSQL Server 10 SP3 on my server.
    2.) I installed Partner 14.2.1 on my server and registered.
    3.) Try to open a company on the server but was unable to add companies as I was getting Pervasive error 94. (This is due to pervasive running as a local service.)
    4.) Changed run as credentials for PSQL services to admin account and can now add companies.
    5.) Installed PSQL Client 10 SP3 on my workstations. (Only done two so far.)
    6.) Installed Partner 14.2.1 on my workstation.
    7.) Register the product to the server. (No problem)
    8.1) When I try to activate or add a company from the NAS drive, the "ok" button is greyed out, no matter what I do!
    8.2) If I copy the company data to the server itself, I am able to activate or add the company.
    8.3) Note that once I made the run as change to the pervasive services on the server, I can add / activate any company from the NAS drive with no issues.
    8.4) I have tried undoing this change which has not helped at all.

I would really appreciate some advice and suggestions. I only have 24 hours to get this institution back on its feet!

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Did you use iSCSI to connect the NAS to the DC? Check that your permissions for the company data is set to inheritable to all sub folders and that the user accounts have appropriate access

Thanks
    NAS is connected to the DC via network. I have added the NAS to the domain. Some time ago, before this operation, I set the NAS to let windows handle ACL. I am going back to let the NAS handle the permissions, which should allow me to setup the inheritable permissions to all sub folders. Unfortunately if I use Windows ACL, then it does not allow inheritance. I will report back once the endless permission changes are set.

Thanks
    You should set the NAS up with iSCSI, server 2012 has native support for it, the server then sees the drive as locally attached basically and the permissions are much less of a ballache

5. Thanks given for this post:

SeanThom (30-Oct-16)

Thanks
    I hear you. Unfortunately that isn't an option right now. I have about 15 hours before I have to be done... Unfortunately setting the permissions from the NAS has not made much a difference just yet, but then I haven't rebooted everything for good measure. Any other possibilities I can look at here? Every single one of my workstations are doing the same, no matter what kind of rights I assign...

I will definitely look into converting to iSCSI in the near future, even if I end up sending all my company data to the server in the meantime...

Thanks
    Problem solved!

As per Riaan's suggestion and guidance, I converted a portion of my NAS into an iSCSI target which allowed me to mount the drive locally on the server, thus solving any and all permission issues between the Workstations, NAS and the Server.