Hello all,

I got a licensed Electrician in to help me with a CoC for a client of mine. I didn't do the house wiring but doing other work so I said I would organise and supervise it.

He had an issue with the Underfloor heating. The 2 rooms downstairs are combined to one 20A CB in the DB, and the 2 upstairs are on another 20A CB in the same DB. Both are on the ELPD feed.

He says each underfloor heating element / room mus be on its own CB in the DB.

According to what I can find relevant in the SANS regs:

6.16.4.1 Heating and cooling
.1 Dedicated circuits should be provided for fixed space heating and cooling (air Con units) that are rated more than 16A. There may be more that one unit on each circuit and the power supply to each shall be controlled by switch-disconnector

6.16.4.2 Underfloor Heating
.1 The circuit that supplies underfloor heating shall be protected by an ELPD that has rated EL tripping current <= 30 mA

And according to

http://www.jcheat2tile.co.za/calculations.html

I am estimating about 6 amps per room, so that is 12 amps per CB so that is under the 16A above, assuming Under Floor Heating applies to this Even so, does one need the Switch-Disconnecter only if more that 16A? Is that the wall mounted stove type? surely doesn't have to be in the DB, is the Switch Disconnector needed for each unit at all?

Earth Leakage, no problem, but I cant see how he can insist on rewiring so that each room unit has its one CB in the DB. Am I missing something? The plot maybe?

Can anyone shed some light or share experiences in this regard please. I have asked the Electrician doing this (allegedly a Master) to advise under which regs his request if referenced to, but thought I would float it here as well

Thanks in advance.