Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outdoor socket standards

Thanks

Outdoor socket standards

Hi

I have an well point pump which is connected to an outside socket. The cable feeding the existing socket, plug and pump comes out of the wall of the house on which it is mounted. The socket is really old (decades) and the housing is made of metal. It has a turnable switch which turns the power on or off. It also has a screw in disk which holds the plug into the socket around its outside.

The electrician who was paid to perform a CoC inspection reckons that it needs to be replaced with an outside plug to meet the CoC standards.

I'm curious as to what sort of outside plug is the correct one to replace it. And what else needs to be done to make it (or other outside sockets) standards compliant.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Any chance of posting a photo?

Being outside (vs indoor) is usually more about the enclosure...

Thanks

Photo of the dinosour socket and plug.

Hi Dave

Ja a photo is an excellent idea. The property was built in 1976 so this may be a photo of a dinosaur:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3442.rr.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	6526

The orientation of the photo does not appear to be correct. The conduit is at the very bottom, the circular switch is in the middle and the socket with the plug in it is at the top.

I think you're right about the enclosure being the missing requirement. I was wandering if something like this would be the solution:

https://www.livecopper.co.za/collect...erproof-socket

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It looks designed to be an outdoor socket outlet. However, I think I can see why the sparkie is keen to see it replaced - Looking at how painted up it is, my concern would be whether the condition would still allow it to readily act as a disconnecting device.

When it comes to outdoor socket outlets, something like this tends to be our go-to -

Name:	PSO-1-A-OPEN_grande.jpg 
Views:	438 
Size:	10.4 KB 
ID:	6528

Pretty much a standard 2x4 or 4x4 socket outlet in a PSO-1, PSO-2 or S15 enclosure.

5. Thanks given for this post:

smitty (12-Oct-16)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    It looks designed to be an outdoor socket outlet. However, I think I can see why the sparkie is keen to see it replaced - Looking at how painted up it is, my concern would be whether the condition would still allow it to readily act as a disconnecting device.

When it comes to outdoor socket outlets, something like this tends to be our go-to -

Name:	PSO-1-A-OPEN_grande.jpg 
Views:	438 
Size:	10.4 KB 
ID:	6528

Pretty much a standard 2x4 or 4x4 socket outlet in a PSO-1, PSO-2 or S15 enclosure.
    It definitely seems designed to be an outdoor socket outlet. Very rugged and the metal chosen does not rust (where exposed). You do raise a good point about it being painted as it seems to have accumulated a couple of layers of paint.

Ja the ALLBRO socket boxes look like a good option.

Thanks
    Yes, the soxket in the picture is an outdoor rated socket. If it's not damaged and working properly then there's no reason to change it for a new one. That socket, even at the age it is, will outlast any new replacement. I'd ask the electrician for a specific regulation he things it's in breach of, if he can't give you one then I'd leave it as it is.

8. Thanks given for this post:

smitty (12-Oct-16)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    If it's not damaged and working properly then ...
    I suspect unscrewing that coupling ring by hand without damaging something might prove a challenge...

Mix cost of time and materials and the cheapest solution is probably to replace.

10. Thanks given for this post:

smitty (12-Oct-16)

Thanks
    Well it would be a pity to have to get rid of it because it really is solid and will never perish from UV. As far as I can tell it is undamaged and works perfectly.

The electrician did say at the time (I was present during inspection) that he wasn't sure about it. However it has showed up on the quote to be replaced at a cost of R850...

I'll ask him about which if any regulations it contravenes.

I'll also give loosening that uncoupling ring a go. I'm pretty good at getting things off / unstuck without breaking them. Patience, practice and all that. ;-)

Email problem
    Thanks
    were those old plugs manufactured with safety shutters?
    the plug top doesnt look very waterproof either.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bergie View Post
    were those old plugs manufactured with safety shutters?
    the plug top doesnt look very waterproof either.
    I'm kinda playing devils advocate here, that thought also crossed my mind when I saw the photo, I'm not certain but I don't think that reg would apply retrospectively if the socket was installed before the date when safety shuttered sockets were required (assuming the circuit hasn't been upgraded since). Also the socket has a screw on weather-proof cover for when it's not in use so if it was a grey area and it all came down to a risk assessment it would just be a decision by a competant person on the day and I wouldn't hold it against any sparky who deemed it needing replacement.

As for the plug and the cable entry, if I remember correctly this particular type used to come with a gland that screwed into the back, I'm guessing it might be missing in this instant but it doesn't form part of the installation so it wouldn't affect the CoC.

The other thought I had was he might have failed it because he couldn't easily test the point because the plug is pretty unremovable and as Dave says time and cost wise it would be reasonable to replace.

If you really want to keep it then I'd suggest you speak to him and offer to clean it up to the point where it can be tested.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast