Thread: Web 2050 Mobile Ad Network charge raised in error

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Web 2050 Mobile Ad Network charge raised in error

Everyone who has Yellow Pages contract charges being raised on their Telkom account had better pay close attention.

I have just received my Telkom account and I have three new line items in my Contracts section:
    One charge for Web 2050 Mobile Ad Network and two charges for Web 2050 Mobile Navigation PIN.

Not knowing what they were for, I contacted Telkom who in turn referred me to Trudon (the Telkom Yellow Pages advertising subsidiary).
    The Trudon call centre rep immediately conceded that the bills had been raised in error, and that she'll pass a credit.

When I asked how it had got to be raised in the first place, she told me this charge was only supposed to be raised for certain clients (presumably the ones who had contracted to receive the service), but due to an IT error "everyone has been billed".

So I asked if "everyone had been billed" why couldn't they reverse the transaction for everyone.
    Apparently it can't be done, so they're having to process the credits manually and they are doing so only when contacted by the client.

If you don't notice the extra charge, and you don't call...
    ...I guess Trudon gets a handy windfall.

If you have been a victim of this error, the number to call Trudon is 086 0935 569.
    You'll need the reference number next to the incorrectly billed line item.

2. Thanks given for this post:

IanF (17-Sep-16)

Thanks
    Yup - we noticed it as well and went to the Telkom shop. Comes to about R1,000.00 extra. They did not know what it was for and also suggested that we phone Trudon ... which we did from the Telkom shop. Was also told that it was a billing error and that it would be reversed.

What gets me is that Telkom was totally unfazed by the error saying that they "outsource" these things.

Our bill is also paid by debit order, so that means the extra money will be deducted anyway. An extra R1,000 from many many clients - even just for a month - is going to be quite a large sum in their bank account before it is reversed. And I also wonder about those that don't notice it!!!
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop "The Lion and the Mouse"

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    So today we have got this email from Trudon -

INCORRECT BILLING
    On your Telkom Account

Dear Business Partner

In the last few weeks we have picked up that there has been an error on the billing of a number of our customers. Your business has been included in this error.

This was a once off billing, for being a part of an historic innovation on Election Day held on August 3 and against our "It's our business to grow your business" promise. Trudon, along with Telkom and the IEC, rolled out free Wi-Fi to around 1 000 polling stations across the country enabling voters, via the SmartYellow app, to browse the Internet for free and importantly, find local businesses like yours. Our mobile Ad Exchange Network registered customers on the SmartYellow site on the day, thereby providing exposure to your business.

An automated email and opt-in system notified customers regarding this initiative, allowing the customer to opt-in or decline. Through post evaluation of this campaign we picked up that customers who did not opt-in were also billed. We therefore have undertaken the corrective measures to credit the amount to your account.

We apologise for any inconvenience that this may have caused you.

Kind regards

Whiffs a bit suspect as an excuse, frankly.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I was not even aware this happened, as I have been overseas. I did notice a credit appear on my Telkom account for same.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks

Trudon Directory Entries

Dear Business Partner,

Thank you for this message! We have picked up the exact same thing on our account and were also referref to Trudon, who conveniently enough, is NEVER available. Do you perhaps have an e-mail address available?

Kind regards

Elmanda

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    So today we have got this email from Trudon -

INCORRECT BILLING
    On your Telkom Account

Dear Business Partner

In the last few weeks we have picked up that there has been an error on the billing of a number of our customers. Your business has been included in this error.

This was a once off billing, for being a part of an historic innovation on Election Day held on August 3 and against our "It's our business to grow your business" promise. Trudon, along with Telkom and the IEC, rolled out free Wi-Fi to around 1 000 polling stations across the country enabling voters, via the SmartYellow app, to browse the Internet for free and importantly, find local businesses like yours. Our mobile Ad Exchange Network registered customers on the SmartYellow site on the day, thereby providing exposure to your business.

An automated email and opt-in system notified customers regarding this initiative, allowing the customer to opt-in or decline. Through post evaluation of this campaign we picked up that customers who did not opt-in were also billed. We therefore have undertaken the corrective measures to credit the amount to your account.

We apologise for any inconvenience that this may have caused you.

Kind regards

Whiffs a bit suspect as an excuse, frankly.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmanda Fourie View Post
    We have picked up the exact same thing on our account and were also referref to Trudon
    Oh my. Still happening all these years later.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmanda Fourie View Post
    Do you perhaps have an e-mail address available?
    Back in 2016, doing business with "big business" in a telephone call still worked. Not so much nowadays

In digging around trying to see if I could find anything that might be useful in the way of a website, contact number or email address, I discovered this interesting development -
    It seems in 2019 Telkom acquired a 100% interest in Trudon Pty Ltd.

A Google search does come up with some contact details - but curiously Trudon Pty Ltd's listing has disappeared off SAYellow.com (theoretically their own product, or at least it was...).

Gold Member
    Thanks
    I knew well the Accountant at Trudon (Pty) Ltd. It seems she left at the right time.