Hi all.

I'm a "noob" here to TFSA. If anyone could please help me with advice?

In October 2010 I’d undergone Debt Review, to which a court order was granted on the 1st March 2011. Unfortunately due to circumstances beyond my control, I only managed to make 1 payment to the NPDA towards my Debt Review obligations in November 2011. Since then I had made no payments.

It was not until very recently that I had heard about the Cancellation of Debt - In Terms Of The Prescription Act 68 Of 1969, as well as the National Credit Amendment Act 2014 (NCAA) - The Prescribed Debt Amendment.

Since the debts have indeed prescribed, what process should I follow to have the listing removed from the credit bureaus and / having the debt review process cancelled / rescinded?

I have contacted my debt councilor to inquire, and it appears that they are not very clear on what to do in this regard, as they have been hesitant in answering me regarding the exit process.

I also wish to find out what fees can the debt counselor claim from me to exit the process. I am under the impression that the debt counselors are entitled to a monthly “after care fee”, however since the inception of service they had very little / no after care service towards my case since the court order had been granted.

I decided to jump the gun and take matters into my own hands, and I had sent out “Prescription Claim Letters” (with much thanks to Vanash Naick) to my creditors which were listed on the court order for debt review via registered post on the 29 July 2016.

I’m not too sure what route to follow from here on in. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks & Regards

Terrence