Thread: Selling stuff on Gumtree or OLX - beware

Silver Member
    Thanks

Selling stuff on Gumtree or OLX - beware

Look out for this, they will send fake payment info then try pick up the item. Looks like it has been going on for a few years.

I am really interested in buying this for my cousin as a surprise for him, only if you can assure me that everything is in order, I am a petroleum engineer currently on a rig offshore I really want this to be a surprise for my cousin so I won't let him know anything about this until it gets delivered to him, I am sure he will be more than happy with it.It will be secured paying via PayFast as I'm on a rig offshore.So let me know if you have an account with Payfast so I can make the payment.
    Note well: Pick up agent will come for the pick up as soon as I have made the payments, I would have loved to talk to you on the phone but I work mainly offshore, our phone is down on the rig right now due to the inclement weather, and we can only communicate with our base for now. Thanks
    They are big on PayFast - but cheques are also used. Personally, don't give the address out until you are happy that funds have cleared.

Thanks
    Papsak
    Have you been caught out?
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IanF View Post
    Papsak
    Have you been caught out?
    No - but only felt something was fishy when my rather long reply to the above where I said I will only take ETF and wait for it to clear before giving the address was.

Payfast is a secured mode of payment which they protect every transaction done by them and you can quickly set up an account with them just click this link https://www.payfast.co.za/user/register and click next then choose An individual account. Note, in the general information they will ask you How will you use PayFast? Don't forget to select the second option that says ( To request payment for services rendered ). I advise you to choose the second option because there are no charges for paying out to the seller's bank account. The option (2) is %100 percent free. Kindly register with Payfast now and follow the instruction given so that I can make the payment now.
    I then looked around and found an almost verbatim email from 2014.

Email problem
    Thanks
    I have sold many items on Gumtree and OLX. Don't be shy to ask for CASH Only and also to make sure that it is not counterfeit money. If they are legit, they wont mind you checking.

Also, never do deals alone. Make sure you have someone you know with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pap_sak View Post
    Look out for this, they will send fake payment info then try pick up the item. Looks like it has been going on for a few years.

They are big on PayFast - but cheques are also used. Personally, don't give the address out until you are happy that funds have cleared.

5. Thanks given for this post:

Annetta (14-Jul-22)

Thanks
    Yup, I also buy and sell a lot of stuff online - on just about every portal imaginable. Take CASH or use something like PayPal that is trusted.

Thanks
    also beware of the "over payment" into your account then buyer requests you to refund the over payment via a card less deposit because "it was a honest mistake" (cheque is gonna bounce).
    cash means someone must either come visit you at your home or you meet at a public place - cash comes with its own risks. Take all necessary precautions to protect you and your family and your possessions.

I was browsing olx looking for a vehicle. found 1 i liked but the price seemed too low so i thought i would do some checks. in the pic of the car was letters of a dealership. i recognised those letters, they belong to motorworld in parow, cape town. Upon searching their stock i found the same vehicle same pictures just the price was 100k more. never bothered calling the scammer but it most probably would have gone down like this, "had so many calls about this vehicle, if you serious about buying this car please make a deposit to secure it."

holiday accommodation and rentals are also scam territory, thoroughbred pets as well.

i operate a free classifieds website that targets the Pretoria area and i try as far as humanly possible to remove suspect / useless ads. its an uphill battle.
    Last edited by Dave A; 27-Oct-22 at 07:01 AM.

Thanks
    The scammers now send false Paypal documents in which they reques tthat you pay the transport cost before releasing the total amount. Major Nigerian Scammers

Thanks
    This Saturday I sold a cellphone on Gumtree the person made the payment I got a message saying that the person made a payment to my bank account I didn't think anything of it yet so I gave the phond to the driver who fetched it after a few hours the payment still didn't reflect in my account I skded the person and he said that the payment was supposed to be in but it wasn't Sunday went by still no payment and I thought maybe I should wait till 2 business days past by it is currently Tuesday the second business day and still haven't recieved a payment so at the moment I don't know what to do
    The person blocked me yesterday after I continously phoned him to ask about the payment but he haven't received my calls

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Michealamickeypretorius View Post
    This Saturday I sold a cellphone on Gumtree the person made the payment I got a message saying that the person made a payment to my bank account I didn't think anything of it yet so I gave the phond to the driver who fetched it after a few hours the payment still didn't reflect in my account I skded the person and he said that the payment was supposed to be in but it wasn't Sunday went by still no payment and I thought maybe I should wait till 2 business days past by it is currently Tuesday the second business day and still haven't recieved a payment so at the moment I don't know what to do
    The person blocked me yesterday after I continously phoned him to ask about the payment but he haven't received my calls
    Come on - you should know better than that - You never hand anything over until you have cash in hand or the money shows up in your own account when you log into your account and look for yourself!

Thanks
    This is true I was selling a small thing for R250 and this person said lets do PayPal and than said I must pay the R1000 in a ewallet to release the funds . I also got a fake email where I reply on where it came back and said it was the new way now or I will get legal problems.
    So I went to PayPal and saw no activity on my account so I WhatsApp this person back and said there is a investigation on this transaction never heard of them again.