Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do circuit breakers need to be SABS APPROVED

Thanks
    I think you can take it that they're the genuine item then and they're not necessarily displaying their SABS compliance on the actual product although I couldn't for the life of me begin to guess why not.

Their concerns around the lack of main circuit breaker were similar to mine although it is plausible the Eskom protection could fulfill the requirements under certain circumstances. I think the problem with relying on the Eskom MCB for DB overload protection is that there's nothing to stop it being replaced or even being removed by Eskom at any given time if there was alterations to their network for example.

Thanks
    Their concerns around the lack of main circuit breaker were similar to mine although it is plausible the Eskom protection could fulfill the requirements under certain circumstances. I think the problem with relying on the Eskom MCB for DB overload protection is that there's nothing to stop it being replaced or even being removed by Eskom at any given time if there was alterations to their network for example.
    6.8.1 Circuit-breakers used as main or local switch-disconnectors

A circuit-breaker that is used as a main or local switch-disconnector (see
    6.9.4) shall comply with the relevant requirements of a standard given in
    clause 4 for switch-disconnectors, or, alternatively, a switch-disconnector
    shall be positioned on the supply side of the circuit-breaker
    Please correct me if I interpret it wrong. According to 6.9.4 if you use a circuit breaker as a switch disconnector, it must comply with clause 4 for switch disconnectors, BUT if not, a switch disconnector shall be positioned on the Supply side of the Circuit breaker, thus meaning it shall be installed on the incoming side of the circuit breaker. (Supply side = Incoming, Load Side = Outgoing). So the arrangement will be Switch Disconnector, Main Circuit Breaker and then the rest of the circuit breakers for the installation? So my confusion is why is it allowed in certain areas that the upstream supply breaker can be used as the circuit breaker for OC faults if 6.9.4 states the switch disconnector must be installed on the supply side of the circuit breaker? As Bergie Mentioned:
    on a normal db and sub db it is acceptable to have your overload protection upstream,
    , are these two regulations not contravening one another, OR am I interpreting the Supply side of Circuit breaker wrong?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MullerR View Post
    Please correct me if I interpret it wrong. According to 6.9.4 if you use a circuit breaker as a switch disconnector, it must comply with clause 4 for switch disconnectors, BUT if not, a switch disconnector shall be positioned on the Supply side of the Circuit breaker, thus meaning it shall be installed on the incoming side of the circuit breaker. (Supply side = Incoming, Load Side = Outgoing). So the arrangement will be Switch Disconnector, Main Circuit Breaker and then the rest of the circuit breakers for the installation? So my confusion is why is it allowed in certain areas that the upstream supply breaker can be used as the circuit breaker for OC faults if 6.9.4 states the switch disconnector must be installed on the supply side of the circuit breaker? As Bergie Mentioned: , are these two regulations not contravening one another, OR am I interpreting the Supply side of Circuit breaker wrong?
    From my understanding the switch disconnector would only be required to be upstream of the main OCPD if both items are within the DB because it's the DB that requires 2-pole disconnection.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    What is more worrying is that none of the "major" manufacturers can supply authenticated documentation of:

Please send me the certification for your following CIRCUIT BREAKERS please:
    Circuit-breakers used as switch-disconnectors (isolators) In < 125 A and Icu < 10 kA

VC 8036a plus 4.8 of SANS 152d,

or

VC 8036a plus SANS 60947-2

(From Clause 4 (SANS 10142) (Circuit breakers used as switch disconnectors)

Not one has come back with documentation.

CBI, Schenker or LEAR circuit breakers cannot be used as Switch-Disconnectors then?

So if their c/breakers are not compliant to be used as switch disconnectors (which are required by regs) does that mean that most installations does not comply? (Where there is ONLY a circuit breaker and no switch disconnector or "6.9.1.1 - disconnecting device"

MAKE SURE YOU KNOW THE The difference.
    Last edited by ACEsterhuizen; 27-Jul-16 at 05:38 PM. Reason: more info

Thanks
    All manufacturers should be able to supply compliance documentation for their circuit breakers or they should state that they're not rated as switch disconnectors. Maybe try communicating with them again a little more assertively by pointing out it's a legal requirement this documentation is supplied on request.

Something else that struck me as being odd was in Gilberto's previous post he stated;
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilberto Silva View Post
    .......but he did also mention over the phone that their is specific things in the circuit breakers that he would know definitely its CBI parts but couldn't divulge those details to me.........
    So CBI are basically keeping info on how to spot counterfeit items as trade secrets and even when there's a specific suspicion raised they're not telling customers how to spot a fake. How does that work? All the major players in most industries have entire web pages and published fact sheets available on how to spot pirated or fake items yet Gilberto's comment suggests CBI's policy appears to be the exact opposite.

Here's a few examples of counterfeit info from several companies;
    Clipsal
    Schneider
    Eaton

I see there's some info here on counterfeit MCB's but I'm not sure if it was officially provided by CBI.

6. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (27-Jul-16)

Thanks
    From my understanding the switch disconnector would only be required to be upstream of the main OCPD if both items are within the DB because it's the DB that requires 2-pole disconnection.
    So my understanding is also correct by implying that the double pole isolator should be installed before the circuit breaker.

Now I have another point. Most circuit breakers have the symbol Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Symbol_Circuit-breaker.jpg 
Views:	432 
Size:	9.0 KB 
ID:	6378 which is not suitable for isolation according to SANS 10142, Table Q1, but the symbol Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MCB Isolation.gif 
Views:	1692 
Size:	2.6 KB 
ID:	6379 according to SANS 10142, Table Q1 suggests it is suitable for Isolation? Does that mean when you install a double pole circuit breaker Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QF-N-2_13_-10A-6kA_grande.jpg 
Views:	454 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	6380 with the symbol suitable for isolation, it is allowed to be used as the switch disconnector?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MullerR View Post
    ........Does that mean when you install a double pole circuit breaker with the symbol suitable for isolation, it is allowed to be used as the switch disconnector?
    As I understand it that symbol means it is capable of being used as a switch disconnect assuming it has sufficient poles for that particular installation. Also the green toggle on a CBI MCB or SP+N denotes it as an isolator or switch disconnector. TBH I haven't seen an MCB in a long time that doesn't qualify as a switch disconnector, from what I remember the device needs to have positive forced disconnection of the internal switch contacts when it trips and also a certain gap between the contacts when they're in the open position. There may be other requirements as well but I think nowadays most of the major MCB suppliers are fulfilling these requirements with their standard OCPD's such as MCB's and SP+N's etc making them dual purpose.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Switch symbols: The horizontal line in the switch symbol of the contacts indicates that they fulfill the isolating function.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	switch-symbols.gif 
Views:	554 
Size:	5.4 KB 
ID:	6382

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123