Hey guys, a real week of what the hell's I've just had...thank goodness its weekend!
Here's one for you...hopefully someone can help...?
I have a client who has been complaining of getting shocked from the taps when he showers.
He has 2 geysers. And 4 bathrooms.
2 of the shower rooms are fed off of each of the geysers.
Off of each geyser, 1 shower gives shocks when the taps are touched...the other does not...
I did the original CoC on the premises so I know that the earth bonding is in place...checked it again tonight and it is perfectly bonded.
I thought that maybe the earth from the earth bar to the geyser was faulty but once tested for continuity I realised that this too is still perfectly intact.
Tested the geyser elements just in case and they are perfect as well.
I got the multimeter out and tested voltage from earth to the taps... 8V AC.
I get this 7.8 - 8V reading on the 2 showers affected but nothing on the 2 showers not affected! Yet they are using the same copper plumbing pipes as a feed, and come from the same geyser!!
I have told my client that the voltage is certainly non lethal, but is no doubt not ideal.
I have suggested rubber mats on the shower floor until I can come up with a solution.
This is a holiday house so is only used twice a year, but is still not right.
How on earth (excuse the pun) is this voltage existing when everything is earthed properly?? And how do I get rid of this voltage?
I am thinking of knocking in an earth spike outside of the house in the locations of the geyser and running a separate earth from the pipes to the earth spike. Surely this would alleviate the voltage on the piping?
Please help guys...my client is rather upset, but consoled that they will not die from the experience at least...
Thanx