Hi there, I wonder if someone could help with a problem I am having...
I inspected a flat on the 2nd floor of a 2 storey block.
I have inspected flats in this complex before.
All of the other flats have received a great earth loop reading of around 0.16 ohms.
Now this flat I inspected last week came back with a loop of 12 ohms. Obviously this needed to be corrected.
Normally i would line tap the earth to the neutral in the meter box.
I checked the kiosk feeding the 4 flats in this particular block, and the earth is already bonded to the neutral busbar.
This leads me to think that the earth is broken somewhere between the kiosk and the flat.
I wanted to verify this, so I connected an earth wire from the incoming junction box (around 100m from the kiosk, at the foot of the flats) directly to the earth bar in the mainboard.
I again tested the loop and it came back as a similar reading...around 11 ohms.
I also meggered the earth wire from the junction box to the earth bar and found perfect continuity.
I have not managed to gain access to the other 3 flats to test their loop readings, but I am assuming that the earth is rusted/corroded through somewhere between the kiosk and the block of flats (it's a 10mm bare earth with a 16mm 4 core armoured cable).
Would this sound like a likely assumption of what I am finding?
Your help much appreciated as the sale of the flat is registering before the weekend and I cannot issue the CoC before this is resolved...
Many thanks
Simon