Thread: Rough estimate downlights

Thanks

Rough estimate downlights

Hello,

I would like to know the cost of having downlights installed professionally in a flat. I would like maybe 20 downlights spread through out the rooms. I know it's hard to give me an answer without viewing the property, but the flat hasn't been built yet. I'm just trying to figure out the cost of the addition of downlights.

I would really appreciate any rough estimate you can give me for labour and materials (cheapest downlight).

Thanks

Thanks
    Hi
    Yes it is difficult to estimate without viewing the property and also some contractors quote differently. If the flat is still to be build, your builder has a electrician or would recommend you a electrical contractor that would give you a quote either per point because it's a flat you would not just have downlights you would probably want him to install also socket outlets,geyeser circuit,stove circuit and so forth,so it is difficult to quote also different provinces also plays a role.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    beware very aware about cheap LED lights! You get what you pay for.
    Any LED light which is less than 100Lumens per Watt is not worth the money you going to pay for it, especially when they fail, and also because they are dim or low light.

Another interesting point to consider is the colour temperature. The very white lights have an impact on humans and animal life.
    Blue light has a dark side
    How Blue LEDs Affect Sleep
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Hey,

Yes, the developer quoted me a price, but I'm trying to figure out if its reasonable.
    The downlights are an optional extra I have paid or well the other stuff is included in the purchase price.

I'm not sure what type of downlights I'm getting as he has just said downlights so I'm assuming it's the standard common used one.

Thanks
    Oh I can also only use the people he is using if I want to upgrade anything. So, its either take the price his quoting or go for the standard and not pay extra and then just have someone else take it out later.

I want an aquaflash toilet as well and I feel with plumbing and electrical work etc it would be best to have them do it from the start or I might be wrong and it might not make all that big of a difference.

I don't mind spending the money just don't want to overspend as I feel the price might be a li'l high considering he is suppose to give me standard lighting etc and he is suppose to have it installed so shouldn't he be deducting costs? Sorry for the jumbled up questions, I just have no experience in this area.

Thanks
    Hi, so 20 downlights, how many separately switched areas? Are the downlights to be installed in a cast concrete, rib and block or rhinoboard ceiling? What have you been quoted for the addition of the downlights in the installation?

7. Thanks given for this post:

curds (08-Jul-16)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RTsparky View Post
    Hi, so 20 downlights, how many separately switched areas? Are the downlights to be installed in a cast concrete, rib and block or rhinoboard ceiling? What have you been quoted for the addition of the downlights in the installation?

Hey, when I ask the developer anything I feel like my questions are unreasonable because he never answers them or if he does he just says if I don't like the quote and don't pay it he will just revert to standard lighting.

The only thing I know besides the price is ther willbe 5 downlights in the main bedroom, 3 in the living room, 4 in the dining room, 4 in the kitchen, 3 in the other bedroom then 4 in the bathrooms. I think there will be 7 switches to switch on the different lights.

Is it really so unreasonable to want to know what kind of downlights they will be putting in?

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    It takes about 1/2 an hour to cut a hole, pop in the downlight, fit lamp and wire 1 downlight. (VERY Slow speed worker) Add another hour to plan, check and clean, pack up etc. +-11 MANHOURS.(20 downlights) So if there is NO OTHER WORK 20 downlights i will bill 11 MANHOURS. So that's 11 x Man Hour rate. I say man hours because if he puts in 10 guys the whole job should theoretically take him an hour, but he will bill you 1 hour but for 10 guys, that's still 10 manhours. or 1 guy 10 hours, still the same manhours labour to do the job. So my labour will cost you for eg. R300 x 11 Manhrs = 3300+vat+travel (roughly)

excluding materials.

Thanks
    Mmmh he quoted r12000 for the downlights, I know he will have multiple doing it, but I understand being billed for the hours regardless.

I think because I honestly don't appreciate being made to feel as if I'm unreasonable I will go with standard lights. Is it a very big and messy job though to put in downlights after? I wanted him to do the electrical worl because I felt it would be easier, but if it's not that difficult to switch then I will pay someone else to do it after his done.

Thanks
    Welcome to the site Curds. This is the best place to get the best advice. I suggest if you have not yet, that you read the sticky at the beginning of this forum. Having done that you will know that it is up to you to ensure that all electrical work is supervised by the appropriate person and that you MUST be issued with a COC on completion. You must ask to see the supervisor's credentials. And I don't mean the building foreman.

As for the material cost you can get quotes from the local suppliers keeping in mind that it could be a 220V system or 12V system.