I am desperately trying to get advice with regard to credit card debt I have in Dubai. I was forced to leave the country when my dad had a stroke and lost my job. I am unemployed in South Africa but I have credit card debt of 45 000 dirhams in Dubai that I am currently trying to pay off. The Rand to dirham exchange rate fluctuates between R5 to 1 AED. I cannot afford the minimum monthly installment of 1400 dirhams so I pay 500 dirhams as I have to loan that money from family. The bank has threatened criminal and legal action despite me emailing them and speaking to them on the phone. I have repeatedly said I am committed to paying off the debt and will not dissapear or not pay anything as I want to return to Dubai. I have asked for a reduced payment option until I can get another job but they harrass and ignore my emails each month and every two weeks for the past 6 months I am threatened continuously.
I would like to know if by law they can implement a criminal case against me despite me having paid a reduced rate - that they did not agree on - and despite the fact that I continuously communicate and have proof of it?
What happens after a criminal case in Dubai is implemented? How do I fight it?
Is it not better for the bank to get some money out of me or are they trying to sell my debt to debt collectors and then letting the legal course take place?
I really cant find any advice - I am an honest man and really just trying to look after my critically ill dad and pay my debts.
Please help