Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Construction: Soil pretreatment standards.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Dave, as far as I know all suitable products are registered for PCO use only. Also eThekwini municipality will require a copy of the certificate of treatment issued by a registered PCO. My apologies for being the bearer of bad news, but do-it-yourself is not an option for you unless you're a registered PCO.

If I can touch on mixing ratios and application rates, these may and will vary by product. The rule (applicable to all registered pesticides) is application must be in accordance with label instructions, and the appropriate instructions will be on the label as it is a legislated requirement in terms of Act 36 of 1947.

2. Thanks given for this post:

daveob (19-Jan-10)

Thanks
    Thanks Dave_A.

So all I have to do is prepare the area, contact a registered PCO and have them come in and do the treatment, show me the label / instructions so I can satisfy myself they used the correct mixture, and have them issue the required certificate for the monkeypality ?

Sounds simple enough.
    Watching the ships passing by.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    At a meeting with banks a couple of years ago, they asked if we could do something about soil pre-treatments (we were talking about entomological clearances at the time). Apparently they are very concerned about what is going on.

Of course, since Chlordane's gone, it's only got worse. I've heard stories of folk using Lindane With a knapsack sprayer Applying the stuff as lightly as you do with a herbicide

Maybe the banks would be prepared to talk. They're the guys with the leverage over NHBRC anyway.

The only problem I see there is that they want a list of who not to use (as opposed to who to use).

My comment at the time was "Surely they'd prefer to be working with the shorter list!"
    Are the banks or the NHBRC even remotely qualified or mandated to influence pest control industry practices? Surely this would be a SAPCA matter.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Andy, banks and the NHBRC might not be qualified to make a call on who is doing the job properly and who isn't, but they make an excellent control point if they partner with an organisation (such as SAPCA) to police a list. Effectively the bank and/or NHBRC would be enforcing some admin stuff.

As to mandate, the bank would be protecting their interest (the building value forms part of their collateral, expensive maintenance costs resulting from shoddy workmanship in the original construction also affects the ability of their client to pay their instalments), and assuring quality in construction is part of the NHBRC mandate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12