Thread: Does the consumer protection act help a business?

Thanks

Does the consumer protection act help a business?

Hi,

I wonder if someone can shed some light on this matter,

As a registered PTY Ltd, we have a telkom line which hasn't been working for 3 weeks now, yet we're still debited for the line. To add insult to injury, we're being billed for another phone service but never received it, and a third unexplained fee is being debited off our account every month. The amount isn't worth a lawyer so I want to know if the consumer protection act can intervene?

Thanks
    Juristic persons (including companies) aren't protected by the Consumer Protection Act if their annual turnover or net asset value exceeds R2 million. So this threshold will immediately determine whether the CPA has any relevance for your unhappiness with Telkom.

However, even if your business falls below this threshold, exercising your rights protected under the CPA is unlikely to be quick or easy. You would need to register a complaint with the National Consumer Commission and/or National Consumer Tribunal, neither of which are renowned for expediency. I've seen legal cases where people have successfully used the Consumer Protection Act, but in most of these the process took well over a year.

I'm assuming you have tried to resolve this matter with Telkom directly. If you have exhausted all of their internal channels and decide to pursue a legal route, then your best bet will probably be to consult with an attorney and have them draft a letter on your behalf. Alternatively, some judicious social media posts may well achieve the same outcome.

Founder of Growth Surge - Helping entrepreneurs create more wealth and enjoy more freedom.

3. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (15-May-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverNodashi View Post
    As a registered PTY Ltd, we have a telkom line which hasn't been working for 3 weeks now, yet we're still debited for the line.
    I have received credits from Telkom for this sort of problem in the past. Once it is repaired (or you terminate) request a credit (if they do not give it to you automatically).

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I have received credits from Telkom for this sort of problem in the past. Once it is repaired (or you terminate) request a credit (if they do not give it to you automatically).
    Me too.
    The credit only applies once the service is back in operation, because then there is an exact time in which the credit is calculated on.

I had a problem with a Fax line for about 3 months. After a number of service calls, Telkom reckoned that the problem is not on their lines, and must be with our equipment. I insisted that they send a technician, in which they replied that if the fault was not theirs they would charge me for the call out. I accepted the terms. The technician found a bad connection at the point of entry of the Telkom fax service and our local connection in the DB in our building. Once this was corrected, Telkom credited me for the line service for the period from which I lodged the first complaint, and was not charged for the technician call out.

I also found an entry on my Telkom bill, and after some investigation, and having called the call centre, it was established that this was for advertising the business number in the white pages and yellow pages. Now there is a free entry for your number, but if you request the letters to be bold, to highlight the company name, there is a monthly fee for this. There is also a charge for an entry in the yellow pages.

I have found that the Telkom call centre is pretty helpful if you have your bill in front of you and are calm and collected. First check on the bill for the number to call for your area when there is a problem. From there then state your problem. I have found that if one is calm and collected, you get very far, but if one starts raising your voice or become irritated with the call centre then the call usually drops, and you must start again.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za