Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dropbox - Ending Support for Windows XP on August 29th

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Dropbox - Ending Support for Windows XP on August 29th

I received an email this morning informing me the following
    We're writing to let you know that as of August 29th, 2016, Dropbox will no longer support this version of Windows. You can find which devices connected to your account are running Windows XP.

Don't worry — your files and photos aren't going anywhere! But you'll need to update your computer to Windows Vista or later to access them through the Dropbox desktop application. You can find instructions on how to update your operating system on Microsoft’s website.

If you don't want to update your operating system, your files will still be available through the Dropbox website. However, on August 29th, you'll be signed out of your Dropbox account on your computer and the Dropbox desktop application will no longer be accessible.
    What a pain in the butt.
    I do not want to have any later version of MS, I still have programs that can only work in DOS under XP, they do not work in later versions of MS OS.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Email problem
    Thanks
    Wow. DOS. That's a blast from the past.

You should be able to run any DOS programmes on any operating system, with a virtual machine running DOS, such as DOSBox.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gavinMA View Post
    Wow. DOS. That's a blast from the past.

You should be able to run any DOS programmes on any operating system, with a virtual machine running DOS, such as DOSBox.
    Yes you can, but the screen is very small approximately 6 inches by 4 inches, and can not be enlarged for a better view of the Dos window, not conducive for doing drawings. My 96 program is still better and faster than the latest ones which cost R30K plus. I have one of the latest ones, but man, have the software engineers really messed it up. One can see that they never really use the program for their own use. It is so cumbersome and user unfriendly.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Stop the dropbox application updating. If it's already updated then download the offline installer for version 2.10.52 from here https://www.dropboxforum.com/hc/en-u...-build-2-10-52 and install it offline. Then delete the dropbox-upgrade-3.0.3.exe, make a new text file and write in it 'I hate updates'. Rename the text file as 'dropbox-upgrade-3.0.3.exe' without the quote marks (ignore Window's protests when it smells a rat) and put it in the directory you deleted the original exe file from. Bob should be your uncle from that point on or at least until drobbox's next move

5. Thank given for this post:

Andromeda (21-Apr-16), Justloadit (21-Apr-16)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Seems that Dropbox is on a mission to stop any operation if your operating system is not WIN 7 or later.
    As from today, it seems that if you have an XP system, you can no longer log into their system, as it will not allow you.

Is there any other cloud system in which we can store files which can be accessed across any OS?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I am busy looking at an alternative www.sync.com

Has anyone used it?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    OK loaded the software, it looks very similar to dropbox, and got 5Gibytes free for ever.
    So Now to transfer all my data over to sync

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Haven't used it but it does look interesting. They seem to focus on security more than dropbox does.
    Thanks for the info.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Justloadit .... Windows XP !!!? .....Seriaaas ? It's like asking for a spare part fo a model T Ford

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HR Solutions View Post
    Justloadit .... Windows XP !!!? .....Seriaaas ? It's like asking for a spare part fo a model T Ford
    This is the last version of MS that allows me to run a DOS program with full window view.
    Besides, I have WIN 7 on another PC, and about once a week It hangs where it tells me that it can not save a file because of an access violation or duplicate file name, even though the file has been open and saved a number of times during the week, and requires a reboot, where as my XP runs for months with out requiring a reboot.

WIN10 requires a good fast and lots of available data line to work, and besides, the only programs I use is Outlook, Word for a couple of quotes and letters, and Excell spread sheet for some BOM and price list. Don't need any fancy computer for what I do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast