Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dropbox - Ending Support for Windows XP on August 29th

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Dropbox - Ending Support for Windows XP on August 29th

I received an email this morning informing me the following
    We're writing to let you know that as of August 29th, 2016, Dropbox will no longer support this version of Windows. You can find which devices connected to your account are running Windows XP.

Don't worry — your files and photos aren't going anywhere! But you'll need to update your computer to Windows Vista or later to access them through the Dropbox desktop application. You can find instructions on how to update your operating system on Microsoft’s website.

If you don't want to update your operating system, your files will still be available through the Dropbox website. However, on August 29th, you'll be signed out of your Dropbox account on your computer and the Dropbox desktop application will no longer be accessible.
    What a pain in the butt.
    I do not want to have any later version of MS, I still have programs that can only work in DOS under XP, they do not work in later versions of MS OS.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Email problem
    Thanks
    Wow. DOS. That's a blast from the past.

You should be able to run any DOS programmes on any operating system, with a virtual machine running DOS, such as DOSBox.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gavinMA View Post
    Wow. DOS. That's a blast from the past.

You should be able to run any DOS programmes on any operating system, with a virtual machine running DOS, such as DOSBox.
    Yes you can, but the screen is very small approximately 6 inches by 4 inches, and can not be enlarged for a better view of the Dos window, not conducive for doing drawings. My 96 program is still better and faster than the latest ones which cost R30K plus. I have one of the latest ones, but man, have the software engineers really messed it up. One can see that they never really use the program for their own use. It is so cumbersome and user unfriendly.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Agreed, there are still "some" stuff where you "require" XP. I've even got some older programs refusing to run on NT-based Windows (i.e. I have to keep a W98 virtual machine in a "back-drawer" somewhere, even XP is too "new" for that).

As for alternatives to dropbox. Similar I've used before is Box, Google Drive, Yandex Disc, etc. Not sure if all of them come with clients for XP (or older), I know Yandex has clients for all major OSs (and I find it works nicer than even DropBox's).

If you still require a dropbox account, but need another program to sync your files ... you could try http://rclone.org/. It's a command-line only thing, but you can always save those commands to a .BAT file on your desktop and double-click it to upload to / download from the cloud server. Nice thing is it works with a lot more than just dropbox. Not to mention, it runs on more OSs than just Microsoft's (I've even got it running in Linux). And its default is to only do a sync (in only one specified direction) at only the time you tell it to - i.e. it doesn't constantly sync all the time (eating up both bandwidth and processing power). I find it more controllable, but more technical - perhaps not for everyone.

For older than XP, I'm not too sure. Rclone requires a Python interpreter - haven't attempted to get one of those installed into something like W98 or even Dos. Of course you could attempt using FreeDOS insetad of some 20 year+ old DOS version. I know they've made a PythonD interpreter for it, so rclone just "might" work there.

Not sure what you're on about DosBox giving only a small "screen", you could change to fullscreen and see it the same way you'd have done if DOS was running directly on the computer. Though I find other VM systems more capable - also meaning I need only one such system for multiple VM-OSs.

Personally though, I use such old OSs inside of Virtual Machines (e.g. my W98 and XP runs inside a VirtualBox on my personal linux server - using VBox's VNC remote desktoping so I can work on it from another computer, my W7 and W10 machines run in VMWare-Player under my Linux personal computer - in this case VMWare since graphics is simply much better through it than VBox). Most (if not all) VMs allow you to ajust the VM's screen size - even up to full screen.

That way it's seen as a normal computer (as the VM's network settings are changed to bridged mode) on my router's network. Able to share files / folders from/to others. Then I turn off internet connection to it (through the router's firewall settings). So rather than have it link to such on-line file sharing directly, I have another computer (usually a Linux based one) to do the downloads into a folder which I share on the network. Tends to mean I don't even need no stinking AV for stuff like Windows - since it never even "sees" the internet.

You could do similar even without a router-based internet connection. E.g. if your internet is directly connected to your computer (say something like a USB mobile dongle), you could set the virtual machine's network to link-host-only. That way the OS inside the VM only sees whatever folders you shared from the main OS. The default NAT based network would share whatever connections the host OS has. You should be able to run even DOS on it, I have run FreeDOS inside both VBox/VMWare, though I don't have use for it anymore.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    Not sure what you're on about DosBox giving only a small "screen", you could change to fullscreen and see it the same way you'd have done if DOS was running directly on the computer. Though I find other VM systems more capable - also meaning I need only one such system for multiple VM-OSs.
    The DOS screen is about 3inches by 4 inches, and can not be expanded to fit the monitor screen. You can move it around, by you can not make it larger than the 3 x 4inches. You can zoom in and out with in the DosBox screen, but this is unworkable.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    The DOS screen is about 3inches by 4 inches, and can not be expanded to fit the monitor screen. You can move it around, by you can not make it larger than the 3 x 4inches. You can zoom in and out with in the DosBox screen, but this is unworkable.
    Pressing Alt+Enter swaps between windowed mode and full-screen. Otherwise you can adjust the conf file: http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Dosbox.conf

Though DOSBox emulates a S3 video card ... i.e. similar capabilities to what you got in those old video cards like CGA/EGA/Hercules/VGA. They had their limits and those limits similarly apply to DosBox.

Remember ... DOS is firstly a Text-based user interface (i.e. TUI instead of GUI). The program you run on top of it may use graphics, but DOS itself just displays text (usually 80x25 characters, whatever those character's font sizes are). If your program uses some form of graphics display, then I'd advise you go to full screen instead (i.e. press the Alt+Enter key combination).

Though you should really try to use something less constrained. I'd suggest you at least try something like VirtualBox with FreeDOS. Both of them would only "cost" you the download and time spent on installation. Not "too" much to loose for trying something out ... I think. E.g. http://freedos.sourceforge.net/wiki/...php/VirtualBox

DOSBox is mainly meant for old games, since it includes a CPU throttle - i.e. some of those old games didn't use a timer, instead just relied on the CPU not having much of a clock-speed. I.e. if you run that game on newer computers (than say an old 8086) everything flashes past in a blur.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Thanks
    Stop the dropbox application updating. If it's already updated then download the offline installer for version 2.10.52 from here https://www.dropboxforum.com/hc/en-u...-build-2-10-52 and install it offline. Then delete the dropbox-upgrade-3.0.3.exe, make a new text file and write in it 'I hate updates'. Rename the text file as 'dropbox-upgrade-3.0.3.exe' without the quote marks (ignore Window's protests when it smells a rat) and put it in the directory you deleted the original exe file from. Bob should be your uncle from that point on or at least until drobbox's next move

8. Thank given for this post:

Andromeda (21-Apr-16), Justloadit (21-Apr-16)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I am busy looking at an alternative www.sync.com

Has anyone used it?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Seems that Dropbox is on a mission to stop any operation if your operating system is not WIN 7 or later.
    As from today, it seems that if you have an XP system, you can no longer log into their system, as it will not allow you.

Is there any other cloud system in which we can store files which can be accessed across any OS?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    OK loaded the software, it looks very similar to dropbox, and got 5Gibytes free for ever.
    So Now to transfer all my data over to sync

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast