I have resigned from my current position due to the fact that I can't be associated with the unlawful labour practices at my company. Our salaries haven't been paid on time and not even within the 7 day period allowed, my February salary I only received on the 15th of March. This happens often and I've suffered financial losses due to bank costs and debit orders being returned and has also damaged my credit record. Its a single owner business and he takes money out of the business however and whenever he wishes. He is constantly screaming and swearing at his employees. None of the site workers (its a construction company) is registered for UIF or Workman's Compensation. None of them have safety training and we don't even have a qualified first aider or safety officer. I've told my boss numerous times that this is not right, that its illegal and he replies that its his company, his money and he will do whatever he wants.
I've now found a better job and resigned, but he wants to force me to give a month's notice. But I am not sure if I will get my salary at the end of March or even my leave paid out. I've been seeing a psychiatrist due to the mental and verbal abuse we get at work. He also can keep his hands off the ladies at work and we've had a very high staff turnover especially in female employees - close to 25 females in the past 3 years and they all say the same thing - he couldn't keep his hands to himself. I don't want to stay there another minute. Can I just stay away and not go back to work? Please help I am desperate!