Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Working late

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Entropy Group View Post
    This is not as simple a problem as meets the eye. This is probably a huge communication (as someone has mentioned) and attitude problem. Questions you need to ask yourself are: When the car was booked in, was there a realistic expectation that the car could be finished before 17h00? When the employee received the job card/instruction, was there realistically enough time to finish the job? Were all spares, tool, equipment readily available to finish the job in the expected time frame? Was there a pre-arrangement with the employee regarding finishing the job, even if it goes beyond 17h00? Was the situation explained to the customer, that the job may not be finished before 17h00? Does the employee have the opportunity to challenge your decision to take on a job when there won't be sufficient time to finish it?

Bad attitude begins somewhere, at home, issues with kids, substance abuse, intimidation, workplace dissatisfaction, personality differences with immediate supervisor, perceived unfulfilled ambitions etc. There is not much in terms of legal requirement, that obligates an employer to get to the bottom of it, but those who do, more often than not, turn a problem employee into a star employee with relatively small input.
    yes the coin has 2 sides totally
    within scope it is just i personally
    tend not to trust anyone at all

i had a employee once and yea i
    do all my work alone now my wife
    and i are a team but i am lucky
    because the business is small
    enough to be handled by 2
    people
    seek professional help with anything and everything never take advice from me

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Entropy Group View Post
    This is not as simple a problem as meets the eye. This is probably a huge communication (as someone has mentioned) and attitude problem. Questions you need to ask yourself are: When the car was booked in, was there a realistic expectation that the car could be finished before 17h00? When the employee received the job card/instruction, was there realistically enough time to finish the job? Were all spares, tool, equipment readily available to finish the job in the expected time frame? Was there a pre-arrangement with the employee regarding finishing the job, even if it goes beyond 17h00? Was the situation explained to the customer, that the job may not be finished before 17h00? Does the employee have the opportunity to challenge your decision to take on a job when there won't be sufficient time to finish it?

Bad attitude begins somewhere, at home, issues with kids, substance abuse, intimidation, workplace dissatisfaction, personality differences with immediate supervisor, perceived unfulfilled ambitions etc. There is not much in terms of legal requirement, that obligates an employer to get to the bottom of it, but those who do, more often than not, turn a problem employee into a star employee with relatively small input.
    A valid statement. I am also a boss, and also have staff, and there are instances that the situation described does arise, albeit in another form. Before acceptance of the job, I usually tell the customer that I need to confirm with my staff to see that it can be done, I then approach my staff and discuss if they are willing to stay after hours to complete the job.

In some instances the staff has other commitments and can not stay after hours to complete the job. At this time I inform the customer about the situation. Yes I could complete the job my self, but I also have my duties which I perform after hours, as it is the only time to get it done, postponement is not an option.

The majority of the times the customer comes back the next day. There are the few which complain and say I give a bad service. Quite honestly the ones that do complain only come when no one else can do the specific job they require, and secondly, are always the ones that complain that the price is expensive. I usually tell them that I am terribly sorry but that is the case. Very few do not return the next day.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12