Anyone have another way to permanently kill this bloody thing?

I've gone through this process: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/15788...w-turn-it-off/

Clicking on that "Real time protection" toggle seems to work. But then I notice it's still scanning each and every program I try to load (seeing this through Task Manager), taking minutes (worst was half an hour to start the Edge browser). So I open that settings panel again, lo and behold the toggle I turned OFF is back ON! At least the Cloud-Based protection stays OFF, but that's not my ISSUE!!! Dammit!

W8/7 parts simply don't exist in W10. The Services thing says I'm not allowed to change such, even though I started the Services Manager through a right-click "Run as Administrator". So I cannot disable the service. I'm not even allowed to end-task the damned thing in Task Manager.

The reason I want to kill it is because it hogs the computer to death. I've even tried installing another AV just to see if some auto-setting would notice that Defender isn't needed anymore ... no dice. All that does is I've now got two programs using up 80% of the Atom CPU's processing time ... ALL THE TIME! Meaning the entire computer is useless ... even just moving the mouse is a jumpy affair.

Believe me ... if I could I would replace W10 on this thing in a heart beat! But due to driver issues, even W8.1 WILL NOT RUN ON IT.