Thread: Sending testers in for repairs

Thanks

Sending testers in for repairs

Hey guys. my bloody Major Tech testers keep kakking. For example, I have two MT350 loop/psc testers 3 MT550 insulation testers, the brand new one gave horrible readings compared to the calibrated one. And the calibrated MT350's battery burst inside or water got in. Yet its water resistant!

is there anywhere that does repairs etc quickly in cape town, because voltes takes 2-3 months before i get them back. I'm Refusing to buy more of that junk anymore. getting a relative to bid on a Fluke 1653b in the uk and bring it over. no more hassles.

Any other brands for loop testers and insulation testers that are easy to acquire here in SA? I love chauvin arnoux testers as well as fluke. Yet the red hellermantyton multimeters are also quite good, accurate and best of all, fast readings.

Thanks
    Geez, sounds like you're riding em hard and putting them away wet.....literally. I self calibrate most of my testers and those I can't I usually get them done in the UK when I'm there for a few days.

I'm a bit of a slut when it comes to tester brands, I tend to draw up a list of required specifications when I need a new tester then research many different brands and models thoroughly and draw up a short list of testers that make the grade. Then I look at price, build quality etc and make a final decision. Obviously doing things this way has meant I have testers by all major manufacturers and some not so major ones as well.

Thanks
    understood. yet having someone to repair them is quite few and far between, at least in my region. I have to wait for the end of the month for the Major Tech rep to get to a voltex or similar, take my tester and bring it back after another month or 2. talk about supply and demand. lol

Thanks
    In every pain in the ass there's a business opportunity, if you've got the time and the energy look at setting up a calibration facility. If you can offer a couple of days turnaround time I'll be your first customer

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Maybe take the initiative and locate the lab in Johannesburg. Get a transport company to collect the item to you, deliver it to the lab, and when it is ready get the same transport company to collect and deliver to you.

Yes it will cost a couple of hundred Rand extra, but you will get the stuff back in a week or so.

I use Repcal Services to do my stuff.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Hi Guy's,Does anyone know if there is there a reliable, reputable company that does calibration and repairs to electrical instruments in Cape Town, I have a Major Tech MT 777 digital ammeter that needs to be repaired.It was accidentally used to measure voltage when it was in the resistance mode. I have other instruments but this one is fairly new and I like the range 1000A A.C. . I am surprised that the modern day electrical testers are thrown out of calibration so easily, I expected that the instrument would have had protection against such mishaps as it is not an uncommon Boo Boo. I have enquired about having it repaired but the sluggish answer I received is that it would be cheaper to buy a new one. I also have a Gripe about a Major Tech insulation tester, but that is for another day.

Thanks
    You mean MajorCrap!

Thanks
    I have a few Major Tech testers which are re-branded Kyoritsu / KEW / KEWTech and they're all good units. I've liked Kyoritsu testers all the way back to my apprenticeship days, they've always been good in my opinion. I'd be interested to hear why you don't like them.

Did you approach Major Tech direct about getting a repair service or was it your electrical wholesaler that was unhelpful?

Thanks
    I use a few different testers, major tech as majority because the old company was only really buying that. But then i started paying for my own testers, so i bought the kyuritsu tong tester K2055. love that thing, readings are very fast and precise. But 5 months ago, my tongs kept getting stuck open, like i could feel something is preventing it from fully closing. i still haven't got it back!!!!!! Im not really sure who is to blame, wholesaler or MT. But I'm p!ssed off its taking so long.

My other MT777 constantly gives me inconsistent readings even after i got it back from its calibration. And my MT785 is is also not the greatest by a long shot(slow to show readings on amps and volts) but its my daily until i get the kyuritsu back.

Also just ordered a Fluke 1653B from ebay Cant wait for it to arrive and put him in my "arsenal"

Thanks
    Hi Andy I have contacted Major Tech direct about about the MT 777 that is faulty, (the electrical wholesaler from whom I purchased was not very helpful) I must take it in to them in order for them to assess the instrument and take it from there, I will take the insulation tester to them for calibration at the same time, the only problem that I have now is getting to their premises its not urgent so I will get around to it. I have used Kyoritsu instruments and have come to respect them as well as Top Tronic,I can only assume that Major Tech products are not produced to the same standards that they had with their earlier instruments. I am using Fluke but the only disadvantage is the cost factor.