Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is an assault sufficient reason for dismissal?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Greig Whitton View Post
    Having an opinion is fine. Posting factually incorrect advice that could land someone in serious trouble if they follow it is not fine. And relying on a "be sure to speak to a professional" as a catch-all disclaimer doesn't make it fine.

Many of my small business clients have paid expensive penalties after a CCMA or Labour Court hearing because some cowboy told them that it was perfectly OK to hire and fire as they please. We have laws in this country that regulate employment. If you want to share your opinion about those laws, then go right ahead. But if you want to tell people how those laws work when you don't actually know, then I'm going to call you out on it.
    i did say seek professional
    help did i not why do you
    not want to acknowledge
    that fact

Email problem
    Thanks
    I'm having a similar kind of discussion with another party on another thread. I think it is cardinally important that advice should be sound and tested, or should indicate that its an opinion. The point of this site is to offer advice and/or opinions, maybe even a bit of empathy, but one should advise what one knows, or the credibility of this site will become tarnished.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Entropy Group View Post
    I'm having a similar kind of discussion with another party on another thread. I think it is cardinally important that advice should be sound and tested, or should indicate that its an opinion. The point of this site is to offer advice and/or opinions, maybe even a bit of empathy, but one should advise what one knows, or the credibility of this site will become tarnished.
    and seeking professional help is
    sound advice is it not
    seek professional help with anything and everything never take advice from me

Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One of the things I love about the forum format is that a post containing poor advice tends not to stand the test of time - almost invariably "the truth will out" as subsequent posts massage the issue.

One of the things that does disappointment me though is that the engagement isn't always as gracious as it could be. There are two main reasons I suggest it is prudent to be civil about these things -

• Sometimes the "wrong" post is genuinely useful as it actually prompts the correct answer, or gives valuable insight into where thinking can go wrong.
    • It is near inevitable that at times we will make a mistake, or get something wrong. When that day arrives for you, how do you wish to be treated?

We need to be very careful when we come down hard on views that differ from our own....

5. Thank given for this post:

adrianh (09-Mar-16), Citizen X (09-Mar-16), Entropy Group (09-Mar-16), Justloadit (09-Mar-16)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    What we really need is is a list of who the people are that really know what they are talking about. Long time locals know who to turn to for well educated advice but unfortunately the newcomer is left to their own devices

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Greig Whitton View Post
    Having an opinion is fine. Posting factually incorrect advice that could land someone in serious trouble if they follow it is not fine. And relying on a "be sure to speak to a professional" as a catch-all disclaimer doesn't make it fine.

Many of my small business clients have paid expensive penalties after a CCMA or Labour Court hearing because some cowboy told them that it was perfectly OK to hire and fire as they please. We have laws in this country that regulate employment. If you want to share your opinion about those laws, then go right ahead. But if you want to tell people how those laws work when you don't actually know, then I'm going to call you out on it.
    I am grateful that you are willing to share your professional knowledge with us. Opinions are great but facts are better.

Thanks
    well maybe i can find the new acts
    and just copy and paste the thing
    every time any question is asked
    but what will that help anyone

also i think people do handle there
    problems differently and sometimes
    those creative solutions can work

but if you only want to speak to
    legal advisors i am sure you can
    contact them and pay for there
    services and knowledge it would
    be abusive to expect them to
    answer your every question
    without compensation of some
    kind they did study for it made it
    there job and are professional and
    if they do contribute here it is
    very cool of them to do so but we
    cannot expect them to sacrifice
    there time on a permanent bases
    seek professional help with anything and everything never take advice from me

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123