Thread: Stuggling to get a vat invoice from oneam transport company

Thanks

Stuggling to get a vat invoice from oneam transport company

Can someone please tell me what to do if I had pay someone for transport services rendered to me and that person do not want to give me a vat invoice. I paid the amount into his personal account which he gave to me and afterwards found out that this account is not his bussiness account.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    In terms of the VAT Act, he is obliged to issue you with a VAT invoice within 21 working days.

Section 20:

(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, a supplier, being a registered vendor, making a taxable supply (other than a supply contemplated in section 8(10)) to a recipient, must within 21 days of the date of that supply issue a tax invoice containing such particulars as are specified in this section: Provided that—
    (i) it shall not be lawful to issue more than one tax invoice for each taxable supply;
    (ii) if a vendor claims to have lost the original tax invoice, the supplier or the recipient, as the case may be, may provide a copy clearly marked "copy".

If he insists on not issuing an invoice, but put you under the impression that you were paying into his business account, I would threaten to report him to SARS if I were you.

Did he provide you with a quote or something in writing perhaps?

Thanks
    Thanks. No unfortunately he did not gave me a quote in writing. I asked him if he was registered for vat on which he replied yes. Also asked him if the vat amount must still be aded to the amount he gave me on which he also replied yes. I then paid R 9200.00 into his account. I did send him a whatsup 3 weeks later asking him to email the invoice for me. He told me that he will do it that following Monday. It is now 3 weeks later. I also phoned him once to ask him for the invoice and after he did not answer his phone when I was calling him.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I would threaten with reporting him to the authorities, as he charged you VAT, even if the quote was done verbally.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheoF View Post
    Can someone please tell me what to do if I had pay someone for transport services rendered to me and that person do not want to give me a vat invoice. I paid the amount into his personal account which he gave to me and afterwards found out that this account is not his bussiness account.

If you paid into his personal account, this was a mistake, because his books will never tie up if he is vat registered or not. If he is vat registered then he will not declare it and he pockets the vat. As TheoF says - I would report him.