This is basically a reply to the thread here, but toward something a bit different.

An excerpt from the FAQ on tvlic.co.za:

Q: ARE SOME PERSONS OR ENTITIES EXEMPTED FROM PAYMENT OF LICENCE FEES?

A: Yes. Public schools are the ONLY educational institutions exempted from the legal requirement of having a television licence. Private schools, universities and other tertiary educational institutions, hospitals, old age or frail-care homes, charities and churches or religious organisations are NOT exempted. If one's television equipment (TV set and VCR) has been “denatured” by having the receiving capability (signal receiver or "tuner") removed, a television licence is not required.

Q: HOW IS A TV SET “DENATURED” SO THAT A TV LICENCE IS NOT REQUIRED?

A: Removal of a television set’s "tuner" renders it incapable of receiving any TV signal and, consequently, exempt from the need to be licensed. Written notice to the SABC of such denaturing must be supported by documentary proof in the form of a letter/invoice/receipt from a reputable TV repairer or installer. A R300.00 payment must accompany such application to the SABC, after which an authorised agent will be despatched to inspect the applicant’s TV equipment. On receipt of confirmation from the agent that the applicant has NO television receiving equipment [TV set(s), VCR(s) or PC(s) fitted with a tuner card] in his/her possession, he/she will be exempted from payment of licence fees for the rest of the current licensing period. Should a licence holder thereafter require such exemption to be extended, written application by way of an affidavit confirming that the applicant still has no TV receiving equipment must be made on an annual basis three months before the end of each licence year. Should an authorised inspector visit an exempted licence holder’s premises and find that the receiving capability of his/her TV equipment has been restored, he/she becomes liable for payment of all applicable licence fees and penalties, plus a R300.00 inspection fee.
I think the fact that a written application/affidavit has to be handed in every year after "denaturing" a TV is pure idiocy.

I'm willing to do it, though, if it gets these SABC idiots with their ridiculous TV TAX off my back.

I currently have 5 TV's from which I want to remove the tuners. Has anyone done this before?

Any info appreciated!