Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Basic Compliance requirements

Thanks
    Deal All

Thank you for all your comments and advice. I used these facts to compel the Electrician who issued the COC to come back and install an isolator switch at the gate motor and replace the day/night switch. Costs were not for my account. Once again thanks to everyone for enabling me to fight with accurate facts.

Thanks
    I am glad you got it sorted out. Unfortunately too many guys try short cuts.

While on the subject. I believe that with regards to excluding appliance from the COC, the point is not to rip the regs to shreds looking for an easy way out but rather to absolve the contractor from having to have an appliance technician along on the inspection to strip all faulty appliances to look for faults when in most cases new owners will change their light fittings, stoves, upgrade gravity fed geysers to high pressure and quite possibly knock a few walls down to do alterations. The appliance must at least be safe to use and safe to work on(an isloating device at hand).

Thanks
    Good day, I am currently in the process of buying a property.

The COC was done and certified as correct.

However, im of the understanding that a pool circuitry is supposed to be independent. The current connect is the pool circuitry is mixed with indoor plug points. Is this correct? the pool breaker is a 30A break with cabling of 1.5mm2 and 2.5mm2, is this correct?

the current COC states that the pool circuitry is independent but clearly is not when i drop the breaker.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	8311

Please kindly advise.

Thank you in advance.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi
    When you talk of dropping the breaker - Is it the Earth Leakage unit ? This will drop numerous circuits
    The 30 Amp feeding 2,5sqmm does not sound correct , but it will depend if it is an isolator or there is a smaller CB protecting the " breaker " upstream.
    A bit difficult to comment fully based purely on the COC attached
    Maybe a couple of photos will provide clarity

Thanks
    No, I meant when I drop the circuit breaker labelled pool on the DB box, the pool circuit is isolated as well as plug points in the house. This clearly indicates that the pool circuit comprises of plug points in the house. Is this in accordance to SANS regulations? What pictures would you require?

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    A socket circuit is allowed to feed fixed appliances as per reg6.15.4.2
    A pool pump falls under reg 6.16 fixed appliances
    The Circuit breaker should have been labeled as mixed loads

With regards to the wire size - If the upstream breaker , the one in the DB , is 20 Amp then 2,5sqmm wire is fine .

6.15.4 Mixed loading of circuits
    6.15.4.1 Except as allowed in 6.15.4.2, 6.15.4.3 and 6.16.3.2.3, there shall
    be no mixed loading of circuits.
    6.15.4.2 Except as required in 6.16, a non-dedicated single-phase circuit that
    has overcurrent protection rated at not more than 20 A may supply a mixed
    load of a combination of any socket-outlets rated at not more than 16 A,
    luminaires and fixed appliances.

NOTE 1 The number of points need not be limited, but the diversity of loads should be
    considered.
    NOTE 2 Mixed circuits should be carefully considered since this may result in nuisance
    tripping.
    6.15.4.3 Socket-outlets rated at 16 A or more that are connected to circuits
    with mixed loading shall comply with the earth leakage requirements of 6.7.5.
    NOTE 1 See 7.1 for the conditions under which a socket-outlet may be installed in a
    bathroom.
    NOTE 2 See 6.16.1.6 for the conditions under which a socket-outlet may be used for
    the connection of fixed appliances.

6.16.5 Motors
    NOTE Motors include the motors in automatic doors and gates, garbage disposal
    units, pumps (pool, fountain, spa, etc.), and the like (see also 6.16.1).

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    A socket circuit is allowed to feed fixed appliances as per reg6.15.4.2
    A pool pump falls under reg 6.16 fixed appliances
    The Circuit breaker should have been labeled as mixed loads

With regards to the wire size - If the upstream breaker , the one in the DB , is 20 Amp then 2,5sqmm wire is fine .

6.15.4 Mixed loading of circuits
    6.15.4.1 Except as allowed in 6.15.4.2, 6.15.4.3 and 6.16.3.2.3, there shall
    be no mixed loading of circuits.
    6.15.4.2 Except as required in 6.16, a non-dedicated single-phase circuit that
    has overcurrent protection rated at not more than 20 A may supply a mixed
    load of a combination of any socket-outlets rated at not more than 16 A,
    luminaires and fixed appliances.

NOTE 1 The number of points need not be limited, but the diversity of loads should be
    considered.
    NOTE 2 Mixed circuits should be carefully considered since this may result in nuisance
    tripping.
    6.15.4.3 Socket-outlets rated at 16 A or more that are connected to circuits
    with mixed loading shall comply with the earth leakage requirements of 6.7.5.
    NOTE 1 See 7.1 for the conditions under which a socket-outlet may be installed in a
    bathroom.
    NOTE 2 See 6.16.1.6 for the conditions under which a socket-outlet may be used for
    the connection of fixed appliances.

6.16.5 Motors
    NOTE Motors include the motors in automatic doors and gates, garbage disposal
    units, pumps (pool, fountain, spa, etc.), and the like (see also 6.16.1).

Agree with that.The circuit should just be labelled mixed circuit .

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    This could be a little tricky ... I get the feeling this isnt a mixed circuit but rather a breaker labelled "pool DB" with 2 wires .. one feeding the pool DB and the other the plugs ... maybe the DB was full.

the question would be ... can you have a pool DB as part of a mixed circuit ... I can understand a "motor/pump" being part of a mixed circuit ... but a sub DB with a pump as part of a plug circuit in a sub DB?

lets see some pictures of the DB and the bottom of the circuit breaker.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Had another look at the part of the COC ... it looks like the only sub DB is in the garage.

Could the pool be one of those little pools with the built in pump and stuff at the weir ... plugged into a weatherproof plug ... back to back with a plug in one of the room.

Its like playing a guessing game
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    This could be a little tricky ... I get the feeling this isnt a mixed circuit but rather a breaker labelled "pool DB" with 2 wires .. one feeding the pool DB and the other the plugs ... maybe the DB was full.

the question would be ... can you have a pool DB as part of a mixed circuit ... I can understand a "motor/pump" being part of a mixed circuit ... but a sub DB with a pump as part of a plug circuit in a sub DB?

lets see some pictures of the DB and the bottom of the circuit breaker.
    At the end of the day it is a fixed appliance and 6.16.5 makes actually mention of pool

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast