Thread: Standard Bank/Veriphone credit card machine issue

Thanks

Standard Bank/Veriphone credit card machine issue

We have a Standard Bank Veriphone Credit Card machine that communicates via a telkom line.

In their usual non-communicative way, Standard are trying to tell me that Telkom will no longer be supporting Banking card machines.

To sort this problem out, they have suggested that we "upgrade" our machine to something else.
    We only need a simple credit card facility - nothing else and nothing fancy which is where Standard are trying to take us.

I have been unable to find out as to whether this situation is correct. When it comes to Telkom, anything could go, but could it be so, that the technology between Telkom and the banks is to become outdated and unsupported, given that both of these organisations usually live in the prehistoric era?

Does anybody out there, know about / have changed / have had communication regarding this scenario?
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

Email problem
    Thanks
    I haven't heard about that but we are using a Capitec Machine which is connected to a device called ConnectNet. It has 2 sim cards (MTN and Vodacom in our area) that it uses to dial out. It might be an option for you to look at.

The cost is R 134 a month.

3. Thanks given for this post:

Marq (09-Dec-15)

Thanks
    According to Standard Bank, all banks are affected by this problem created by Telkom.
    Still not sure as to why the problem exists in the first place.
    Assume nobody else out there uses credit card merchant services via a landline?

Thanks
    Marq we have a FNB speedpoint via a landline. It shares a line with the fax. We average about 2 sales a day on it.
    FNB haven't told us anything like this.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

6. Thanks given for this post:

Marq (11-Dec-15)

Thanks
    I know many small businesses switched over to 3G type speedpoints. It allows for a independent system and no Telkom installation is needed or line upgrades. Perhaps this type of device maybe more suited to your needs.

Have a look tat Nedbank PocketPOS
    Link provided here; PocketPos
    DISCLAIMER - The above does not constitute to legal advice or formal advice in any manner or form

8. Thanks given for this post:

Marq (11-Dec-15)

Thanks
    We use our machine once or twice a week. It downloads batches and uploads hotcards and parameters every day.
    Usually has no problem.
    I have had the Standard Bank rep here now spinning me more stories all along the same line that the landline service is being phased out. Its all telkoms fault etc....
    There are a few anomalies with the story that do not make sense. One is that one of the upgraded machines still runs on a landline.
    I think they are trying to get me to 'upgrade' just to increase my monthly payment.
    Leaving it for now and if the service goes dead one day....will look at changing then.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marq View Post
    We use our machine once or twice a week. It downloads batches and uploads hotcards and parameters every day.
    Usually has no problem.
    I have had the Standard Bank rep here now spinning me more stories all along the same line that the landline service is being phased out. Its all telkoms fault etc....
    There are a few anomalies with the story that do not make sense. One is that one of the upgraded machines still runs on a landline.
    I think they are trying to get me to 'upgrade' just to increase my monthly payment.
    Leaving it for now and if the service goes dead one day....will look at changing then.
    In my experience a rep will tell you anything and blame anyone but there product or service. While you are waiting for your service to be phased out, perhaps shop around a bit and see what other banks have to offer and what their charges are. Eventually they will force the situation and when they do, you will know if you are getting a fair deal or not.
    DISCLAIMER - The above does not constitute to legal advice or formal advice in any manner or form