Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Disciplinary action warrented?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    How do you stop people from copying information onto memory sticks or even taking photographs of products and screens. I don't think that there is a real solution anymore. Everybody has a smartphone with lots of memory and a powerful camera.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    How do you stop people from copying information onto memory sticks or even taking photographs of products and screens. I don't think that there is a real solution anymore. Everybody has a smartphone with lots of memory and a powerful camera.
    Not only that - but putting the info into dropbox is even easier. All they need to do is open their dropbox account at home and the info is all there.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    True, and with dropbox they are able to quietly download the entire server since cloud data space is no longer an issue.

Thanks
    What many companies do to combat photography is to force employees to place their mobile devices in a small locker.

You can also by company policy log all traffic on your internet connection. Our network administrator can monitor all traffic including browser history, sites visits and amount of data that was consumed by each user. Our office computers can only access specific websites and even content uploads are limited by size and file type.

Thumb drive, CD or DVD drive can also be disabled. The employee will not be able to access external email or use thumb drives, CD or DVD burner to copy data.

I am not sure what is possible on a standard home network. Perhaps bringing in a professional network administrator maybe a more prudent course of action
    DISCLAIMER - The above does not constitute to legal advice or formal advice in any manner or form

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Electrode View Post
    What many companies do to combat photography is to force employees to place their mobile devices in a small locker.
    I don't think that this will fly in 99.99% of companies.People carry cellphones, tablets and some have smart-watches. Be that all that it may, cameras can be brought in in pens and all sorts of other objects.

It seems to me that the only thing to do is to give people access to the absolute minimum information, of course that leads to all sorts of problems.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    I don't think that this will fly in 99.99% of companies.People carry cellphones, tablets and some have smart-watches. Be that all that it may, cameras can be brought in in pens and all sorts of other objects.

It seems to me that the only thing to do is to give people access to the absolute minimum information, of course that leads to all sorts of problems.
    Upon reading your reply, I concluded that your problems are more security related. Yes devices of various sizes can be smuggled in, and your information can be exploited to their benefit. We do have access control and heavy security. Perhaps this can be adopted to your work place. Having a camera monitoring the computer and keeping it under lock and key can be part of a working strategy.

A confidentiality agreement between you and your employees can act as a legal deterrent. The promise of strict legal action may discourage the employee from copying your data. Limiting physical access to your data would be the best course of action.
    DISCLAIMER - The above does not constitute to legal advice or formal advice in any manner or form

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by renate109 View Post
    Any disciplinary action which is approbriate. I am just wondering if I can still have a hearing/enquiry even though it was done the last time in 2008, but he has had still this files stored on the company laptop he is using.
    Actually, you can take apart the computer to have the electronics assessed as to what came though the mother board and stuff. then, there is cell calls - they will show up as to who he was phoning or smsing and for how long.
    !! Going to my destruction !!

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    #weirdscience

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Nortje View Post
    Actually, you can take apart the computer to have the electronics assessed as to what came though the mother board and stuff. then, there is cell calls - they will show up as to who he was phoning or smsing and for how long.
    Does a computer have logging software? I can't see how this is stored on the motherboard? For the cell the top forensic guys couldn't see what was on Oscar's cell as it was encrypted so this is a lot harder than it sounds?
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IanF View Post
    Does a computer have logging software? I can't see how this is stored on the motherboard? For the cell the top forensic guys couldn't see what was on Oscar's cell as it was encrypted so this is a lot harder than it sounds?
    Well, every key stroke is stored somewhere, i remember hearing.

With calls logged to these other 'business people' you cuold ask why he was phoning them? sounds like a suspicious thing, yes?
    !! Going to my destruction !!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast