Thread: looking into NAS

Thanks
    Blog Entries

looking into NAS

Hi people i am looking into a proper NAS system or better known as Network-attached storage

I am slowly planning on building such a system but my mind is divided. Buying a NAS system with what is low powered CPU driving everything VS normal mother board CPU and PCI SATA expansion card. Now the tiny system you can buy looks cool takes little power and works. BUT everyone knows that bulk data WILL need high processing power at some point especially if you are running a network like mine. It is just a mess

So am thinking servers and server rack mounts and just do it properly. Industrial style server running 3 AMD system 1 for processing 1 for storage and 1 for Internet/firewall. All of them will be running 10 core systems with 64Gb of memory only one will be gaming speck. I am also looking at 12 X 3Tb Hard drives and 3 SSD for OS "Linux and 1 Windows system"

Have anybody done something like this before? Obviously it will be a year project but the goal is a proper server with backup, UPS protection and very high performance i am not going to go with intel they simply cost to much.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Aren't people doing away with servers nowadays and storing all their data in the cloud ?. The programs we use - the data is all stored somewhere up there, and I know this is the case with a lot of people I know.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Bandwidth and speed of download is an issue with the cloud.
    Besides, data on the cloud means that there is a possibility of data compromise, what stops a hacker of getting into your data?
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

4. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (01-Dec-15)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Data in the cloud has another risk which is that it is entirely dependent on the availability of reliable communication. You run the risk of being offline when Telkom or an undersea cable fails.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Ok correct me here if i am wrong. There are a number of recruitment packages which recruiters sign up to and access anywhere in SA - the candidates and their info is all online, there is no risk in this because the candidate more than likely uploaded it himself including his id etc etc.
    Our other company info is on our accounts computer and obviously myne and my wife. We do out own backup to a hard drive every now and again. What I am trying to ask is what is the need for a server nowadays, because a lot of people work this way, except of course the very big companies - the private data is really not that much. I had a server and got rid of it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    Bandwidth and speed of download is an issue with the cloud.
    Besides, data on the cloud means that there is a possibility of data compromise, what stops a hacker of getting into your data?
    Indeed yes that is my concern, if the net goes offline for any reason you are stuck without your data. Now having your own NAS system helps with redundancy and since it is your server you don't have to pay R1000 a month just to get at your data. Also the amount of data "as it sits right now i have about 10 hard drives "external" and it is not ideal because i can lose some data if one of them fails. having this size server will allow me to run Virtual server services like a firewall for example turning one powerful computer into two or even four virtual systems each doing a job to control my devices or capture high resolution images stuff i need to work on.

So having everything on the net is just impractical because having to download large files over and over again is just time consuming.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Take a good look at proprietary offerings, like Synology. Their solutions are well priced and simply sit there and work. Yes the cpu is small and the memory is small, but firstly it is running a very lean Linux and secondly if you are using it as a NAS that won't matter much.

Your also get a choice of RAID solutions so depending on your configuration, there is plenty redundancy.

You also get a train smash of software and plenty free or cost reduced services.

I configured and switched mine on 3 years ago and have never had any reason to touch it, other than to put it in the safe when I leave.

9. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (02-Dec-15)

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.