Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: List Of Things To Do

Thanks
    Geyser will almost certainly be covered under your Buildings Homeowners insurance.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    I've had bad experiences with the Kwikot steel cylinders before, I was looking at a copper cylinder but they're about R10K which is more than I really wanted to spend. I've seen a fibreglass cylinder that looks promising at around R6K, has anyone had any experience with them?
    If you see Kwikot, run as far as you can. I renamed them Kwicrap as in Quick Crap. I have seen their geysers not even lasting 3y warranty which used to be 5y before they re-labelled them. I have a City Heatsince many years, but heard they are out of business. Very odd that your insurance does not cover geysers. Even more the reason to buy quality. Did you look at Tecron? I also heard of Duratherm as being better as it has a liner inside I belive.
    Houses4Rent
    "We treat your investment as we treat our own"
    marc@houses4rent.co.za www.houses4rent.co.za
    083-3115551
    Global Residential Property Investor / Specialized Letting Agent & Property Manager

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    This post reminds me of a great song:

Thanks
    I checked Phil and the geyser isn't covered, it was an option that carried an extra premium and we chose not to cover it. The extra premium worked out to roughly the price of a new geyser every 4 or 5 years so we've come out on top in the long run but obviously now we need to foot the bill

H4R, I looked at the Tecron copper geysers and they're good looking unit but not cheap. For a 200l 4 Bar copper cylinder you're in the ballpark of R10K materials only which is probably to be expected with copper prices being what they are. At the moment I'm leaning toward one, I'd rather pay the money and only have to do the job once. I haven't checked out the Duratherm yet, I haven't seen them in the local plumbing suppliers so I'll have to track them down and go look at one. Have you got first hand experience with them?

Thanks
    Andy: with respect, you are probably with one of the cr$%py Insurers for buildings. Or your bond holder.

I know on NO insurer who charges for geysers on the Domestic side - only Commercial risks.

And even then most include automatically on most classes of insurance.

Thanks
    I haven't checked out the Duratherm yet, I haven't seen them in the local plumbing suppliers so I'll have to track them down and go look at one. Have you got first hand experience with them?
    Not yet, but I start building in January and shall research it a bit more.
    Houses4Rent
    "We treat your investment as we treat our own"
    marc@houses4rent.co.za www.houses4rent.co.za
    083-3115551
    Global Residential Property Investor / Specialized Letting Agent & Property Manager

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I checked Phil and the geyser isn't covered, it was an option that carried an extra premium and we chose not to cover it. The extra premium worked out to roughly the price of a new geyser every 4 or 5 years so we've come out on top in the long run but obviously now we need to foot the bill

H4R, I looked at the Tecron copper geysers and they're good looking unit but not cheap. For a 200l 4 Bar copper cylinder you're in the ballpark of R10K materials only which is probably to be expected with copper prices being what they are. At the moment I'm leaning toward one, I'd rather pay the money and only have to do the job once. I haven't checked out the Duratherm yet, I haven't seen them in the local plumbing suppliers so I'll have to track them down and go look at one. Have you got first hand experience with them?
    Maybe it is a good opportunity to consider gas? After all you are going to spend the money. Why not get something that can help you in the long run? That said go for the R10K copper geyser. They last long and really with regular maintenance and a simple filter you can get more out of the product...

i personally use gas and yes it is expensive and you don't really save as much money as many say... I guess we do use ours more but my power bill and the gas bill combined you don't really win. BUT that said when the lights are out hot water is still available to you. Something to think about.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The way electricity cost is climbing, gas will be the better solution.

Anyone with a plot could produce gas very easily for general use.

Check out Gas from Wood
    There are a number of drawings available on google search to build.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

9. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (28-Nov-15)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    The way electricity cost is climbing, gas will be the better solution.

Anyone with a plot could produce gas very easily for general use.

Check out Gas from Wood
    There are a number of drawings available on google search to build.
    very cool
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    I did some investigations into gas and for a family of 4 in a largish dwelling where there's multiple simultaneous points of consumption they're not ideal. If you can rearrange your life so people shower at staggered set times when there's nobody doing dishes for example or if you live alone or maybe just 2 people then they're definitely worth considering. The other option is to split your plumbing into zones and install 2 or even 3 smaller LPG units each heating water for an area of the house. Our house isn't very suited, it's 3 storey with 5 bathrooms if you include the garden flat. If you take a holistic view of LPG heaters versus electric geyser then they're actually marginally cheaper to run at todays gas prices. The downside is the inconvenience factor of changing gas bottles and the limited water volume an LPG heater can deliver at it's set temperature.

With the fiberglass cylinder I mentioned earlier it is designed to have solar heaters connected to it so it leaves the door open for a solar upgrade at a later date by adding some evacuated tubes. This would be a likely thing if for example we went back to rolling load shedding. When combined with my existing battery/inverter installation it would give me off-grid capabilities for extended periods.

As for generating my own biogas I just don't have the time to set up and manage it for what would be a relatively small financial gain. Biogas might be the kinda project I'd do if I ever retired and had time on my hands.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast