Thread: To buy or not to buy a used car with a transmission fluid leak-good price

Thanks

To buy or not to buy a used car with a transmission fluid leak-good price

Hello all,

I am looking at buying a Chev trailblazer 2013 with 55000km on the clock. It is for sale at a good price. It does have a transmission leak and needs the prop shaft seal to be replaced. The dealer has agreed to do this. Is it a good idea to buy this van or is it an indication of other hidden problems?

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nav View Post
    Hello all,

I am looking at buying a Chev trailblazer 2013 with 55000km on the clock. It is for sale at a good price. It does have a transmission leak and needs the prop shaft seal to be replaced. The dealer has agreed to do this. Is it a good idea to buy this van or is it an indication of other hidden problems?
    Surely the vehicle would be covered by the balance of manufacturer's warranty?? unless this has been voided in which case one should look at possible reasons for this to be the case.

Thanks
    Hi Flaker, the manufacturer's warranty is still valid, but what I am unsure of is that if the prop shaft seal leak is indicative of a more serious mechanical failure. The vehicle has done only 55000kms. I am not a mechanic but would expect a prop shaft seal to wear at a much higher mileage.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nav View Post
    what I am unsure of is that if the prop shaft seal leak is indicative of a more serious mechanical failure.
    I would doubt it's normal wear and tear that has caused the problem, which would make me very interested in finding out the actual cause of the problem before buying.

Prop shaft seal leaks tend to start "early" because the prop shaft has been removed at some point. It's easy to damage the seal when reinserting...

Look for evidence of the vehicle having been in an accident. You should also be able to get the detailed full service history from a GM dealer - there may be a clue in there somewhere too.