Thread: Job Specific Training

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Job Specific Training

Hi all I'm new to this forum and would like to ask a question on behalf of a friend who has come to me for advise.

The friend in question is stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment. He attended a course that the company had sent him on. This course is not beneficial to him ultimately as it is a requirement to carry out work on behalf of the company when travelling. Ultimately it serves no benefit for him if he had to leave the company and pursue local based work. He had been told that he is liable to pay back the balance of the course attendance, accommodation during that period along with the travel cost if he had to leave the company. Is this correct?? I don't see how the company can hold him there for a set period in order to compensate for those costs. As i say, this course is a requirement for travel purposes and serves him no benefit. Bare is mind that the course is only also valid for 3 years before it expires.

Thanks in advance

Suspended
    Thanks
    Companies send people on courses primary to improve their skills for the company's benefit and secondly to benefit the employee. Therefore the company's main objective is for the Company. And yes a lot of companies do that - if you do leave within a certain period of time after the company has spent money on the course for the employee, they are liable. I have checked this out with the Department and it is pretty much an accepted practice.

Think about it from the company's point of view - If I send you on a R10 000 course and you leave the minute you finish, I would lose out. And just by the way all courses are beneficial for a person, perhaps not now, but definitely later on and looks good on your cv.

Thanks
    I'm not quite sure that a company can send you on a course and just expect you to work back again for x number of months/years unless it's something that they have consented too (i.e. sign something like a work-back agreement). When I did something similar I had to sign a work-back agreement (where I basically had to pay back the remainder if I left within the 6 months I had agreed to) so I acknowledged this fact and accepted it (it was a pretty useless course though and not something I think will ever serve me well as I'd not want to work in along the lines of the actual course as a full time job so I don't even list it on my CV). I also did a course or two with them where there was no such agreement in place so as far as I'm concerned they wouldn't have been able to hold me in something like this without my signed agreement.

Some courses are damn expensive though and it would be unfair to just pick up and move on right after completing the course. Can I ask if your friend signed such an agreement and also what the approximate value of the course was - perhaps just better to pay them back and move on if it didn't cost a lot?

Suspended
    Thanks
    Correct this has to be in agreement with both parties.