Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Light fitting in braai or fireplace

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    connect 2 cores of the silicon cabtyre to the tails using heat shrink with an asbestos sleeve over the heat shrink ...
    I was under the impression that Asbestos has been banned.
    New regulations push South Africa towards an asbestos-free environment 29 November 2020
    Silicon or glass fibre are the only other materials to use.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    I assume he meant fibreglass insulation. Asbestos has never been widely used as insulation as far as I know, mostly as flash guard material.
    Fiberglass sheathed with silicone insulation wire is available but it's expensive to buy. I've used it before in braais in conjunction with a silicone impregated fiberglass sleeve as basically a home-made cable.
    You also get fiberglass sheathed with PTFE insulation wire rated at about 300 degrees Celsius. Again it's hellish expensive.
    If the lamps you're using are low power maybe thermocouple cable would work, it's 2 or 3 wires with PFA or PTFE insulation and a fiberglass or steel / stainless steel braided sheath. Just make sure it's a non-compensating conductor wire of low resistance. These would be rated between 200 and 400 Celsius and probably around 80 Bucks per meter for cut lengths.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I have had a light installed in the chimney of my braai for more than 20 years.
    It is a normal light fitting like the old ones you had hanging from the ceiling with a copper fitting at the end.
    The bulb is a standard 60w house bulb.

The wire is threaded through a hole drilled in the brickwork and the light fitted at the end. Then pulled tight back into the hole again.
    The light is about 1.5 m above the fire and the switch is on the wall next to the braai.

I had to replace the bulb for the first time about a month ago but have had no issues whatsoever.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Some advice when reading stuff on social media ... if you install 0.5 mm twin speaker wire to all your security lights around the building ... it will work ... this fact because I see it all the time ... then a wring inspectors comes along and tells you you have to replace it and the repsnse is always the same ... "by why" ... its worked for 50 years ... I had this last week ... I just walked away from the job.

I arrive at a house ... call out earth leakage tripping ... before I even take out my tools and tester ... I walk around the proeprty and just look (new customer) check for things plugged in ... isolators not switched off ... the usual stuff ... Its bad.

I go collect my plug tester ... only one light switches on ... I turn the dial the earth leakage doesnt trip ... try all the plugs ... it doesnt trip ... live and neutral switched somewhere.

No earth on the socket outlets ... a long list and I havent even taken out the 1653 yet.

I inform the customer that the house requires a full inspection report ... before I even try find the cause of the earth leakage tripping ... due to all the illegal wiring and issues ... the cusotmers repsonse ... I dont understand our neighbour for 20 years is ...................................... wait for it .............................................. " AN ELECTRICAL ENGINEER" ... need I say more.

my point ... I have been throwing petrol on the braai to get the fire going for years ... works like a bomb ... then the other day the bottle caught on fire ... it didnt end well.

maybe a piece of twin flex down the middle of the chimeney with a energy saver lamps should be fine

By the way I did some research ... it turns out the tape I have been using for years and years ... is called sicaflex heat tape AB ... you never too old to learn ... I have been referring to it as "asbestos tape" for years and years ... and didnt know it is now banned or replaced with alternate fibres ... wow.

https://www.asbestos.com/companies/m...uring-company/

https://adlinsulflex.com/heat-resist...aflex-tape-ab/
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    I believe any steel braai with a braai light must be earthed. The possibility of abrasive wear of the cable passing through the steelwork is very strong. Just as important as the earthing on a stove!!!!

Thanks
    What about a bayonet type brass lampholder mounted on inside of a brick/mortar braaiplace?
    Are these lampholders even legal?
    If you turn out the bulb you can easily touch the 2 pins on its inside?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I am not an electrician and do not profess to be an expert, but common sense tells me that if you can put a light in a pool, you can also put a light in a braai.
    Glass is made of "sand" which does not burn. Either an open bulb or preferably a bulb behind a glass cover. The techies will attend to the legalities of how to install and make it safe. My home made effort in the brick chimney of my braai have been working fine for decades. Replaced the bulb once. Let's braai!
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12