Thread: Lottery winner scam

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Lottery winner scam

This scam consists of an email advising that you have won some glorious pile of cash in a lottery.

When you reply to claim your winnings, you are advised to deposit an admin fee. In the instance where one of my staff did respond, she was asked to deposit 2000 British pounds. By all accounts, once this deposit is made, there are additional fees for ever increasing amounts. Here is a sample approach I got the other day (I've lost count how many times I've "won" one of these things):
    This notification is to officially notify that you are one of the Winners in the CARDIFF LOTTERY ORGANIZATION. You have won promotional cash prize of £1.500, 000:00 Ponds (as official prize payout) which will be disbursed to you before the expiry date for prize claims.PLEASE KEEP THIS NOTIFICATION YOU HAVE RECEIVED SECURED. You are entitled as the only person to make claims for your lottery prize. Find below your winning information required for you to claim your prize.

Reference number: EG/38807886091/05
    Batch number: 340/1608/RDL
    Prize won: £1. 500,000:00 (ONE MILLION FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND
    BRITISH PONDS STERLING)
    Lottery Date: 7th August 2006
    Please take the time to review this notification and note the date of expiration 20th August 2006. To redeem your winning prize, completely fill the LOTTERY CLAIMS APPLICATION FORM-C. Submit your form to the accredited claims processing officer:

MR. JAMES COLE.
    Email:cardiffagentcole@mail.com
    Alternative email:cardiffagentcole@yahoo.co.uk
    TEL: 0044-704-012-0412
    FAX: 0044-703-040-0042
    ================================================== ====================
    APPLICATION FOR PRIZE CLAIM (Receipt Official Notification Letter) [WINNING NO 1013AP-4]

[FULL NAME OF WINNER]
    [FULL MAILING ADDRESS]
    [COUNTRY/ REGION]
    [STATE/ PROVINCE]
    [DATE OF BIRTH]
    [SEX]
    [MARITAL STATUS]
    [OCCUPATION]
    [CURRENT E-MAIL]
    [TEL HOME]
    [CELLPHONE NUMBER]
    [FAX]
    WINNING INFORMATION:

[REFERENCE NUMBER:]

[BATCH NUMBER]

[LOTTERY DATE]

Submitted Form will be manually verified and processed by the assigned Claims Processing Officer (CPO) The Processing of your form will be completed within the next 24 hours of receiving your LOTTERY CLAIMS APPLICATION FORM-C. You will receive an update on the status of your Application once completely processed.

DENIAL OF APPLICATION:

Please be informed that the following listed Country have been banned From participating in the lottery. Vietnam, Iraq, India, Nigeria, Zimbabwe, Afghanistan if you are a resident of the listed country you cannot file claims for this lottery prize. Please delete this Notification as your prize processing will be annulled without notice.
    Once again, accept our congratulations on your prize winning.
    Sincerely,
    MR.PETER DAVIES
    Director, Prize Disbursement Center
    ================================================== ======================
    ================================================== ======================
    © 2006 CARDIFF LOTTERY. All rights reserved. Offer valid to winners who Are at least 18 years of age. Void where prohibited. No purchase necessary to claim winning prize. You will need to meet all of the steps to redeem as outlined in the Terms & Conditions before you can receive your promotional prizes.
    To receive this promotion, you must: 1) submit email and Mailing address information: 2) check your email inbox for "Redemption Notification" 3) Follow Redemption instructions
    If anyone wants to claim my prize on my behalf, be my guest - but I don't recommend it!
    Last edited by Dave A; 29-Dec-07 at 10:18 PM.